[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Closter at time of adoption of Code; see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Solid waste — See Ch. 169.
This chapter is adopted for the protection and promotion of the public health, safety and general welfare of the community by regulating the storage of garbage and other waste materials as well as the use, maintenance and operation of bulk garbage containers referred to as "dumpsters."
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated.
- Residue from fires used for cooking and heating and incineration; residue of coal or any other fuel which has been consumed.
- Any bulk storage container constructed of metal or approved materials for the collection of garbage, waste materials, ashes or paper stored on premises and dumped or collected by mechanical or manual means, having a tight-fitting cover.
- Any waste material in the process of or subject to decomposition or decay incident to an ordinary domestic or business use or purpose, and shall include, among other things, kitchen refuse, animal or vegetable matter and decaying and decomposing substances.
- PRIVATE COLLECTOR
- Person, firm or corporation, its employees and/or agents, appropriately licensed by the Public Utility Commissioners and having a contact agreement with any other person, firm or corporation in the borough for the collection or removal of ashes, garbage or waste materials.
- WASTE MATERIALS
- Includes all categories of materials to be disposed of, excluding garbage, and including but not limited to garden refuse, rubbish and trash.
All vehicles used by private collectors shall be metal, enclosed automatic-loading-type trucks with a tight body. All vehicles shall be kept clean and shall be thoroughly washed inside and outside and disinfected once a week. No private collector shall permit any such vehicle at any time to become offensive either through odor, appearance or for any reason.
No owner, lessee, tenant or other occupant of any privately owned building where a dumpster is in use shall permit said dumpster at any time to become offensive, through odor, appearance or for any reason.
Ashes, garbage and waste materials must be completely contained within the dumpster. No accumulation will be permitted outside the confines of the dumpster.
Dumpsters shall be kept in good repair, be structurally sound and leakproof and be easily opened and closed.
Dumpsters shall have the name of the owner of said dumpster clearly printed and visible in letters at least three (3) inches high.
Private collectors shall use all means necessary to prevent any material from being spilled in or on the premises. Any and all spillage, during collection and transportation, shall be gathered and replaced in the vehicle and the place of collection and/or spillage rendered clean.
No person shall place any ashes, garbage or waste materials or any other substance, object or thing in a dumpster unless authorized by the owner, tenant, lessee or other occupant of a privately owned building where a dumpster is in use.
The provisions of this chapter shall be enforced by the Borough of Closter Health Department and Health Officer.