[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Burlington 2-12-1985 (Sec. 14:2 of the 1975 General Ordinances). Amendments noted where applicable.]
The following terms shall have the following meanings when used in this chapter:
- FIREARM or FIREARMS
- Any gun, device or instrument as defined in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1f.
- HANDGUN or REVOLVER
- As defined in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1k.
- Any individual, corporation, partnership, firm or association of any kind or nature whatsoever and any public entity of any kind or nature and the plural as well as the singular and any gender.
- As defined in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1m.
- As defined in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1n.
No person within the Township of Burlington shall discharge or fire any firearm or firearms, known as handgun, revolver, rifle or shotgun.
The following persons shall be exempt from the provisions of § 257-2:
Any police officer, game officer, peace officer, sheriff or undersheriff or any other person who is enumerated in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6 or who is authorized by law to carry a firearm in connection with his employment.
Any person who complies with the hunting and fishing licensing regulations as set forth in N.J.S.A. 23:3-1 et seq.
Any person engaged in target practice, trap or skeet shooting and shall have a New Jersey hunting license as required under N.J.S.A. 23:3-1 or a New Jersey firearms' purchaser identification card, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:58-3, or a New Jersey hunter education course certification card, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 23:3-4.2.
Any person who violates any provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not exceeding $2,000, imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days or a period of community service not exceeding 90 days, or any combination thereof