[Adopted 10-26-1995 by Ord. No. 26-1995 as Secs. 1-1 to 1-7 of the 1994 Code]
Unless otherwise expressly provided or the context is adverse or inconsistent to such meaning, the following words and phrases, when used in this Code, shall have the following meaning:
- CLERK or TOWNSHIP CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly appointed pursuant to law.
- COUNCIL or TOWNSHIP COUNCIL
- The members of Council of the Township.
- An organizational unit of the Township government established or designated by ordinance or this Code as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the Township government assigned to the organizational unit by the Township Council.
- GOVERNING BODY
- The Mayor and Township Council.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Any local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, including this Code, so long as it shall have been adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it shall remain in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Includes a sole owner and any part owner or joint owner of the whole or of a part of a building, land or personal property.
- Any individual, natural person, partnership, joint venture, society, association, club, trustee, trust, corporation or unincorporated group or any officer, agent, employee, servant, factor or any kind of personal representative of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself/herself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- PRECEDING AND FOLLOWING
- Next before and next after, respectively.
- A street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public, including the unpaved portion of a right-of-way.
- TENANT or OCCUPANT
- When applied to a building or land, any person who occupies all or a part of such building or land, whether alone or with others.
- The Township of Washington, County of Gloucester, State of New Jersey.
- Seven consecutive days.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
[Amended 3-12-2003 by Ord. No. 4-2003]
For the purpose of this Code and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, words and phrases shall be given their generally accepted meaning.
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural and the plural, the singular.
"And" may include "or" and "or" may include "and."
"Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day and if the last day be a Sunday, a legal holiday or a day on which the offices of the Township are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
Titles of chapters, sections, subsections and paragraphs are for reference only and are not a substantive part of this Code.
The Seal heretofore provided and used by the Township is hereby continued as the Official Seal of the Township.
Maximum penalty. For violation of any provision of this chapter, any other chapter of this Code or any other ordinance of the Township where no specific penalty is provided regarding the section or sections violated, the penalty shall, upon conviction, be one or more of the following:
Separate violations. Except as otherwise provided, each and every day in which a violation of any provision of this chapter or any other ordinance of the Township exists shall constitute a separate violation.
Application. The maximum penalty stated in this section is not intended to state an appropriate penalty for each and every violation. Any lesser penalty, including a nominal penalty or no penalty at all, may be appropriate for a particular case or violation.
Suspension or revocation of license or permit. In addition to the penalty set forth in this section, any license or permit issued in accordance with the term of this Code may be suspended or revoked for any violation relating to such license or permit.