[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Washington as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 5-28-1998 by Ord. No. 25-1998]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates that a different meaning is intended:
- LIBRARY CARD
- A card, plate or other object issued by a library facility for purposes of identifying the person authorized to borrow library materials, subject to all limitations and conditions imposed on such borrowing by the library facility issuing said card.
- LIBRARY FACILITY
- Any facility owned or operated by the Township of Washington.
- LIBRARY MATERIAL
- Any book, plate, picture, photograph, engraving, painting, sculpture, statue, artifact, drawing, map, newspaper, pamphlet, broadside, magazine, manuscript, document, letter, microfilm, sound recording, audiovisual material, magnetic or other tape, electronic data processing record or other documentary, written or printed material regardless of physical form or characteristics, or any part thereof, belonging to, or on loan to or otherwise in the custody of a library facility.
- PREMISES OF A LIBRARY FACILITY
- The interior of a building, structure or other enclosure of which a library facility is located and which the library facility keeps, displays and makes available for inspection or borrowing library material, but for purposes of this article, such premises do not include the exterior appurtenances to such building, structure or enclosure, nor the land on which such building, structure, or other enclosure is located.
No person shall willfully or maliciously cut, tear, deface, disfigure, damage or otherwise destroy any book, periodical, pamphlet, artistic reproduction, sound recording, audiovisual material or any other article or any part thereof which is owned by, in the custody of, or is borrowed from the library or affiliated organization.
The person commits library theft when he or she does any of the following acts:
Knowingly and intentionally removes any library material from a library facility without complying with the rules, regulations and procedures of said library for borrowing such items or articles;
Knowingly or intentionally conceals any library materials upon his or person or among his or her belongings while still on the library premises in a manner that the library material is not visible through ordinary observation although there may be some notice of its presence, and remove said material beyond the checkout point of that library facility;
With the intent to deceive, borrows or attempts to borrow any library material from the library facility by use of a library card issued to another without the owner's consent, or use of a library card knowing that it is revoked, canceled, or expired, or use of a library card knowing that it was falsely made, counterfeit, or materially altered; or
Borrows from a library facility library material, and without good cause, detains or fails to return the library material after delinquency notices have been issued and after 30 days have elapsed since the date of posting by certified mail of a final notice demanding return thereof, addressed to said person at the last address furnished to the library.
A copy of this article shall be prominently posted in each library facility.
No library card or indicia will be issued to a minor under the age of 18 years by any library of the Township unless the application therefor is signed by a parent or guardian. Such signature shall indicate that the parent or guardian will be responsible for books or any other library articles borrowed by the minor.
Violations of the provisions of this article shall be punishable as provided in Chapter 1, General Provisions, Article I. For the purpose of this section, each book or article or other library material borrowed from a library facility shall constitute a separate violation, and a separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day during or on which a violation occurs or continues. In addition, the penalties contained in this section do not in any way affect a person's responsibility to return borrowed library material, or its value, plus any accrued fines on that material.