[HISTORY: 1988 Code §§ 198-1 — 198-5 adopted as amended through December 31, 2013. Amendments noted where applicable.]
It is hereby determined and declared that the abandonment or storage out-of-doors of any motor vehicle not currently in use for transportation and not currently licensed or registered on any public street or on any public or private lands within the Township is contrary and inimical to the public welfare in that such vehicles so abandoned or stored attract or may attract any person, especially children, who being so attracted, may play in and about them and be injured in so doing and in that such vehicles so abandoned or stored out-of-doors deteriorate and are unsightly and are detrimental to and depreciate the value of properties in the neighborhood where they are located and in the Township as a whole.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any motor vehicle, omnibus, road tractor, trailer, truck, truck-trailer or vehicle which is found without the current year's registration or identification markers as required by law, or which is so disabled as to constitute an obstruction to traffic and the driver or person owning or in charge thereof neglects or refuses to move the same to a place where it will not obstruct traffic.
- JUNK AUTOMOBILE OR JUNK AUTOMOBILE BODY
- Any automobile which is no longer in actual use as a motor vehicle, which is wholly unfit without rebuilding or reconditioning for use in highway transportation or which has been discarded for use as a motor vehicle or otherwise abandoned.
- Any individual, firm, partnership or corporation being the owner or having any legal right in, of or to the motor vehicle or other vehicle as herein defined.
- POLICE DEPARTMENT
- The Police Department of the Township of Wayne.
- TRAILER, TRUCK, TRUCK-TRAILER, VEHICLE, MOTOR VEHICLE, OMNIBUS OR ROAD TRACTOR
- As defined in N.J.S.A. 39:1-1 et seq. of the Revised Statutes of the State of New Jersey.
It shall be unlawful for any person to abandon or suffer or permit the abandoning of any vehicle, omnibus, road tractor, trailer, truck or truck-trailer or other vehicle as defined herein out-of-doors upon any public or private lands in the Township of Wayne or on any public street or between the right-of-way side lines of any public right-of-way therein. Nothing herein contained shall be deemed to prohibit the placing, keeping or storage of any such vehicle in a carport, enclosed garage, barn or other building.
This chapter shall not apply to lawfully operated junk yards nor to motor vehicles located or stored in garages or other buildings, nor to motor vehicles being held for sale, resale, repair or maintenance if at a regular place of business where such commercial activity is permitted, nor to vehicles used for agricultural, business or property maintenance purposes, which vehicles are not required to be registered because they remain and are used solely on private property.
Any vehicle, omnibus, road tractor, trailer, truck or truck-trailer or other vehicle, including motorcycles, motorized bikes and mopeds, which is abandoned or stolen as hereinabove set forth, shall be impounded by the Police Department. Any person who seeks to recover an impounded vehicle shall pay the fees as prescribed in Chapter 191, Towing and Storage, of the Township Code.
No person shall place, keep or store any junk automobile or junk automobile body on any public or private property within the Township of Wayne, nor shall, any person who owns any real property within the Township allow any such automobile or body to remain on his/her land, and failure to remove such automobile or body after 10 days' notice to do so by the Property Maintenance Official shall constitute a violation of this chapter.