[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Council of the Town of Wethersfield 5-5-2008. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Zoning — See Ch. 167.
In accordance with Public Act 07-242, the Town of Wethersfield hereby establishes the Wethersfield Energy Improvement District, within the area defined as the municipal boundaries of the Town of Wethersfield, to be created and operated according to the procedures set forth in Public Act 07-242.
Public Act 07-242 provides municipalities with the authority to establish Energy Improvement District(s) through the formation of a municipal board and the development of a comprehensive plan. An Energy Improvement District allows energy users to aggregate electric and thermal loads on a voluntary basis.
The purpose of this chapter is to promote the planning, development, funding, acquisition, purchase, construction, reconstruction, improvement, extension, or operation of one or more energy improvement districts with a view to increase efficiency, reliability, and the furtherance of commerce and industry in the energy improvement district. It is further to coordinate district activities with regard to such resources with relevant state, regional, and federal agencies. Participation in the Energy Improvement District is on a voluntary basis and participation can be rescinded by a District member at any time.
In the interpretation hereof, the following words and terms shall be taken to include the following meanings when context shall require or permit:
- The Energy Improvement District Board created by this chapter and as more particularly set forth in Connecticut Public Act 07-242.
- CONNECTICUT GENERAL STATUTES
- The revision of 1958, as revised and amended.
- The Energy Improvement District which shall be a zone within the Town of Wethersfield whose boundaries shall be determined, by ordinance and in accordance with Public Act 07-242, by the Town Council after receipt of a feasibility report and recommendations of the Board.
- ENERGY IMPROVEMENT DISTRICT DISTRIBUTED RESOURCES
- One or more of the following:
- A. Customer-side distributed resources, as defined in Section 16-1 of the Connecticut General Statutes;
- B. Grid-side distributed resources, as defined in said Section 16-1;
- C. Combined heat and power systems, as defined in said Section 16-1;
- D. Class III renewable energy sources, as defined in said Section 16-1 and;
- E. Microgrids, as defined below in this section.
- EX OFFICIO
- Nonvoting member.
- FEDERAL AGENCY
- The United States of America, and any department of or corporation, agency, or instrumentality thereof or hereafter created, designated or established by the United States of America.
- Small, locally controlled electric systems interconnected with electric distribution company facilities.
- The acquisition, purchase, construction, reconstruction, improvement or extension of one or more energy improvement district distributed resources.
- STATE AGENCY
- The State of Connecticut, any department of, or corporation, agency, or instrumentality thereof, or hereafter created, designated, or established by the State of Connecticut.
The Board of the District shall consist of five voting members. The voting members shall be electors or representatives of businesses located in the district, who shall be nominated by the Mayor and approved by the Town Council for a one-year term. The terms of the five designated members shall expire on June 30, 2009. Any vacancy shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment. The Mayor shall be an ex officio member of the Board. The Board members shall serve without compensation, except for reasonable and necessary expenses.
The Energy Improvement District and Energy Improvement District Board shall have all the powers and duties conferred or imposed on it by the Connecticut General Statutes. Additionally the Board shall issue an annual report of its yearly activities and financial statements.
Any project acquired and/or constructed by the Board shall be acquired and/or constructed subject to the approval of the Town Council of Wethersfield.
The Board in addition to the powers set forth in § 13-4 above shall have the power to issue and secure bonds as more particularly set forth in Public Act 07-242. Any bonds proposed to be issued by the Energy Improvement District Board are subject to the approval of the Town Council. Unless the bonds are guaranteed pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 33 of Public Act 07-242, such bonds will be the obligation of the Board and not the Town of Wethersfield.
The properties included in the District shall be determined, by ordinance and in accordance with Public Act 07-242, by the Town Council after receipt of a feasibility report and recommendations of the Board.
The Board may make and enforce any reasonable regulation which it may determine to be necessary relating to the facilities owned or leased by any individual or corporation, limited liability company, partnership, etc., within the District consistent with the laws of the State of Connecticut and the Charter and the Code of the Town of Wethersfield.