Town of Southampton, NY
Suffolk County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[Adopted 4-28-1992 as part of L.L. No. 15-1992]
Editor's Note: See also Art. VI, Agricultural Agreements, of Ch. 298, Taxation.
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
The cultivation and actual use of land for the exclusive purpose of growing and harvesting crops for sale, including agricultural land which is fallow for not more than two consecutive years.
A written agreement between the Town of Southampton and the owner of eligible farmland, by which the property owner agrees to restrict the use of the land to the active production of crops and not to build upon or otherwise change the land for a period of one year.
All crops, livestock and livestock products as defined by § 301 of the State Agriculture and Markets Law.
Eligible farmland must consist of a single operation of at least 10 acres, which may include rented land and which may be comprised of separate noncontiguous tax lots, in the active production for sale of crops; and
The land must be either located in the Agricultural Overlay District as depicted by the Zoning Map of the Town of Southampton[1] or the operation must have yielded a gross sales value of $10,000 or more in the preceding two years or the land must contain Class I or II prime agricultural soils.
Editor's Note: The Zoning Map is on file in the office of the Town Clerk.
Any owner or owners of land may obtain from the Assessor's office an application for an agreement in such form as shall be approved by the Town Board.
The Assessor shall review the application to determine the eligibility of the subject farmland under the terms of this article.
The Town Board shall hold a public hearing on every application upon 10 days' notice to the public of the time and place of such hearing. Following the public hearing, the Town Board may approve, disapprove or approve with modifications the proposed agricultural use agreement.
The fully executed agricultural use agreement shall be filed with the Town Clerk on or before the appropriate taxable status date.