[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Supervisors of the Township of Unity 3-13-2008 by Ord. No. O-8-08. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, those words and phrases set forth hereafter shall have the following meanings:
- A communication to the public safety agency indicating that a crime, fire or other emergency requiring immediate action by the public safety agency has occurred or is occurring.
- ALARM DEVICE
- A device designed to automatically transmit an alarm:
- AUTOMATIC DIALING DEVICE
- A device which is interconnected to a telephone line and preprogrammed to transmit the coded signal of an alarm to a dedicated telephone trunk line or to dial a predetermined telephone number to an alarm to a public safety agency.
- DEDICATED TELEPHONE TRUNK LINE
- A telephone line or lines which serve a public safety agency which is dedicated to receiving transmissions from an automatic dialing device.
- FALSE ALARM
- The activation of an alarm device to which a public safety agency responds when a crime, fire or other emergency has not occurred.
- Any individual, corporation, partnership, incorporated association or other similar entity.
- PUBLIC SAFETY AGENCY
- The Pennsylvania State police, any volunteer fire department or ambulance company providing emergency services within Unity Township, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.
Prior to attaching or using an automatic dialing device, a person shall:
Obtain prior written approval for the installation and use of such device from the public safety agency servicing the premises which the device is designed to protect, such written approval being designed to alert the public safety agency of an alarm condition; and
Disclose to the public safety agency the telephone number of a person to be contacted if the automatic dialing device is activated who can provide all relevant facts concerning the design and layout of the premises to be protected by the automatic dialing device. The person so designated shall also be required to inform the public safety agency of any change in the information required by this subsection as soon as is practicable after such change occurs; and
Secure any permits required under any building code in effect within the Township of Unity regulating the type, design or location of such device.
The public safety agency shall not be responsible for any costs associated with the installation and maintenance of any dedicated telephone line or equipment associated with the alarm termination.
The public safety agency may refuse, revoke or suspend any approval granted under § 39-2 above if the public safety agency determines any of the following to exist:
Any person who owns, uses or possesses an alarm device or automatic dialing device may not, after causing or permitting three false alarms to occur in a consecutive twelve-month period, cause or permit a subsequent false alarm to occur in the same consecutive twelve-month period.
Any person who violates the provisions of this section, or any other provision of this chapter, commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction thereof before a court of competent jurisdiction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $300.
The Code Enforcement Officer of Unity Township, or his or her duly appointed designees, shall be and is hereby vested with the authority to take all actions necessary to enforce this chapter.
The disposition of any fines or penalties shall be consistent with the provisions of Section 7511 of the Pennsylvania Crimes Code (18 P.S. § 7511).