[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Town of Elsmere 6-11-1981 by Ord. No. 162. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Vehicles and traffic — See Ch. 215.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE or OHV
- A motor-driven off-road vehicle capable of cross-country travel without benefit of a road or trail, on or immediately over land, snow, ice, marsh, swampland or other natural terrain. It includes but is not limited to a competition vehicle that is specifically designated by its manufacturer as being intended solely for use during a special or competitive event, and which is exclusively so used, a multiwheel drive or low-pressure tire vehicle, a motorcycle or related two-wheel vehicle, an amphibious machine, a ground effect air-cushion vehicle or other means of transportation deriving motive power from a source other than muscle or wind. "OHV" does not include a farm vehicle being used for farming, a vehicle used for military, fire, emergency, public works or law enforcement purposes, or construction or logging vehicle used in performance of its common function, or a registered aircraft.
- OHV OPERATOR
- Includes every person who is in actual physical control of an off-highway vehicle.
- ORGANIZED OR SPECIAL EVENT
- Any competition involving motor vehicles as defined above that is conducted with the permission of the Council of the Town of Elsmere having jurisdiction over the area concerned.
Except as hereinafter provided, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate an OHV upon any property within the limits of the Town of Elsmere.
An OHV may be operated on property located in the Town only for a special event of limited duration, conducted according to a prearranged schedule and with the permission of the Council of the Town of Elsmere.
[Amended 9-18-2003 by Ord. No. 420]
Any person in violation of any provision of this chapter shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $300.