[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Leonia 10-11-2000 by Ord. No. 19-00 (Ch. 150). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any individual seeking election to a public office of the federal, state, county or municipal government, or school district or political party, and any individual who shall have been elected or failed of election to any such office.
- MUNICIPAL OFFICIAL, EMPLOYEE AND APPOINTEE
- Any person holding elective municipal office or holding an appointed position in the municipal government, or in any agency, commission, board or office thereof, whether the position is full time or part time, compensated or uncompensated; and any employee of municipal government or of any municipal agency, commission, board or office thereof, whether the position is full time or part time.
- The government of the municipality, including any officer, department, board, commission, or agency, thereof.
- POLITICAL CONTRIBUTION
- Any loans and transfers of money or other things of value to any candidate, elected official, or representative of any political organization, or other commitments or assumptions of liability to make any such transfer. Political contributions shall be deemed to have been made upon the date when such commitment is made or liability assumed.
- POLITICAL ORGANIZATION
- Any two or more persons acting jointly, or any corporation, partnership or other incorporated or unincorporated association which is organized to, or does, aid or promote the nomination, election or defeat of any candidate or candidates for federal, state, county, municipal or school board office or political party office. "Political organization" includes, but is not limited to, organizations defined in N.J.S.A. 19:44A-3 as a political committee, joint candidates committee, continuing political committee, political party committee, candidate committee, or legislative leadership committee.
- PUBLIC PROPERTY
- All personal property owned, leased or controlled by the municipal government, including but not limited to vehicles, phones, fax machines, computers, stationery including municipal letterhead, postage and other office equipment.
- To ask for, by oral or written communication, a contribution as that term is defined herein.
No municipal official, employee or appointee may solicit, commit to pay, or receive payment of or a commitment to pay any political contribution for any candidate, elected official or political organization while in any room or building occupied in the discharge of official municipal business. This subsection shall include solicitation or acceptance of political contributions made over a private cell phone or by use of a private computer, if the person soliciting or accepting the political contribution, or using the cell phone or computer for purposes of soliciting or accepting the political contribution, is in any room or building occupied in the discharge of official municipal business.
No municipal official, employee, or appointee may solicit, commit to pay, or receive payment of or a commitment to pay any political contribution for any candidate, elected official or political organization, while utilizing public property.
In the event public facilities are made available to any group for nongovernmental use, as a meeting facility, this prohibition shall not be deemed to prevent fund-raising of any sort among members of such groups during the time such groups have reserved exclusive use of the meeting facility.
Violation of any provision of this chapter shall be punished by a period of community service not exceeding 90 days or imprisonment in the county jail for a term not exceeding 90 days or a fine not exceeding $1,000.