[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of Scranton 5-20-2004 by Ord. No. 38-2004. Amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "Mechanical Amusement Device and Arcade Licensing Ordinance of the City of Scranton, Pennsylvania."
For the purposes of this chapter the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meaning given herein. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future. Words in the plural number inclhde the singular number. And words in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- AMUSEMENT ARCADE
- An indoor commercial use with four or more electronic machines for amusement or entertainment, with such machines activated by the use of tokens or coins.
- Any person, group of persons, firm, corporation, association, or other legal entity which is the real party in interest for a license under the term of this chapter.
- The City of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
- The Director of Department of Permits, Licensing and Inspection.
- LICENSED PREMISES
- All public and nonpublic areas of an amusement arcade which operates under a license granted pursuant to this chapter, including the interior of the arcade as well as the exterior areas, entrances, sidewalk and parking lots.
- Any person, group of persons, firm, corporation, association, or other legal entity which operates or is otherwise the real party in interest in an amusement arcade and which receives a license under the terms of this chapter.
- MECHANICAL AMUSEMENT DEVICE
- Any electronic machine which, upon insertion of a coin, token, slug, plate or disc, or other form of payment, may be operated by the public to provide use as a game, contest or amusement, whether or not registering a score thereon, including but not limited to video games and other devices which utilize a visual display screen.
- Any person, firm, par4nership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
Any person, firm, partnership, association, company or organization displaying for public patronage or keeping for operation any mechanical amusement device or arcade as herein defined shall be required to obtain a license from the City of Scranton upon application and payment of the appropriate license fee. Application for such license shall be made to the Director of the Department of Permits, Licensing and Inspection upon a form provided by the City for that purpose.
The application for a mechanical amusement device as herein defined shall include the following:
Name and address of the applicant and age, date and place of birth.
Place where machine or device into be displayed or operated and the business conducted at that place.
Description of machine to be covered by the license, name of manufacturer, and serial number.
Prior convictions of applicant, if any, which includes pleas.
The application for an amusement arcade as herein defined shall include the following:
Every person before being granted a license shall pay the following annual license fee for the privilege of operating or maintaining for operation a mechanical amusement device or arcade as herein defined. Each license shall be for a period of one year and shall be paid on or before January 31 of each year.
Pinball machine (per machine): $50.
Pool table (per table): $50.
Juke box (per machine): $50.
Shuffle board (per machine): $50.
Bowling machine (per machine): $50.
Electronic dart machine (per machine): $50.
Foos ball (per machine): $50.
Mechanical amusement/(horse ride, car ride, etc.) (per machine): $50.
Video amusement (per machine): $50.
Lawful video gaming machines: $150.
All other categories (per machine): $50.
The license or licenses herein provided shall be posted permanently and conspicuously at the location of the machine in the premises wherein the device is to be operated or maintained to be operated. Such license may be transferred from one machine or device to another similar machine upon application to the Department of Permits, Licensing and Inspections to such effect and the giving of a description and the serial number of the new machine or device. Not more than one machine shall be operated under one license and the applicant or licensee shall be required to secure a license for each and every machine displayed or operated by him. If the licensee shall move his place of business to another location within the City, the license may be transferred to such new location upon application to the Director of the Department of Permits, Licensing and Inspections giving the street and number of the new location.
Any person, firm or corporation who shall violate any provision of this chapter shall be liable for a civil fine of no less than $200 and not more than $600 for each violation or shall be imprisoned for a term not to exceed 30 days, or both. Every day that a violation of the chapter continues shall constitute a separate offense with a separate fine.