[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Carneys Point 7-12-1995 by Ord. No. 588. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ABANDONED CAT
- A cat of any age which shall be left unattended, unclaimed or at large for a period of 72 hours or more.
- Any animal of a feline species.
- Every person having a property right in a cat and every person keeping, harboring or feeding a cat for more than 48 hours. This provision shall not include a person who keeps or feeds a cat on behalf of an owner, at the owner's request, to accommodate the owner's temporary needs.
- An individual, firm, partnership, corporation or association of persons.
- PUBLIC NUISANCE
- A cat that causes damage to public or private property, or causes harm to any person.
- STRAY CAT
- A cat having no known owner or custodian.
Vaccination. Except as provided in Subsection B hereof, all cats shall be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian in accordance with the recommendations for immunization published by the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians. A cat which shall be in the custody of the Animal Control Officer for Carneys Point Township shall not be released to the owner until the cat is vaccinated or the owner of the animal provides proof that the cat has been previously immunized.
Exemptions. Any cat may be exempted from vaccination requirements for a specified period by the local Board of Health upon presentation of a veterinarian's certificate stating that, because of an infirmity or other physical condition, the inoculation of such cat is not medically appropriate.
No cat shall be sheltered, maintained or harbored that is not domesticated. The area where cats are kept shall be clean and sanitary and shall not create a disturbance by reason of noise, odor or other causes. No person shall abandon any cat or permit a cat in his/her custody to become a stray.
No cat shall cause damage to any person or property. Any person who owns, maintains or harbors any cat that causes such damage shall be strictly liable for the damage and may be prosecuted for a violation of this chapter.
No person shall harbor, maintain or feed any stray cat. Any person who shall do so, following receipt of a notice from the Animal Control Officer advising said person that a violation of this chapter is occurring, may be prosecuted if such activities continue.
Any person violating any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not exceeding $200 or by imprisonment for a term not to exceed 10 days, or both.