[HISTORY: Adopted by the Common Council of the City of Rensselaer 8-15-1984. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Towers and towing — See Ch. 161.
Abandoned vehicles — See Ch. 167.
Vehicles and traffic — See Ch. 169.
Editor's Note: This ordinance also superseded Ord. No. 114, adopted 8-4-1982.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider/operator and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.
- MOTOR VEHICLE
- Every vehicle which is or may be operated or driven upon a highway which is propelled by any power other than muscular power and excluding and expecting:
- A. Electrically driven invalid chairs being operated or driven by an invalid.
- B. Vehicles which run only upon stationary rails or tracks.
- C. Snowmobiles as defined in § 2221 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York.
- D. Fire and police vehicles.
- E. Farm-type tractors used exclusively for agricultural purposes, or for snowplowing, other than for fire, farm equipment, including self-propelled Caterpillar or crawler-type equipment, while being operated on the contract site.
- Any device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas and/or fumes from an internal-combustion engine and sufficiently effective in reducing the noise attendant in the operation of a motor vehicle and/or motorcycle so as to render the operation of same to be in compliance with the provisions of § 386 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York.
- Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.
It shall be unlawful to operate, drive or use any unregistered or unlicensed motor vehicle or motorcycle within the City limits of the City of Rensselaer.
[Amended 8-15-1990 by L.L. No. 4-1990]
Any person, firm, corporation, association or organization, whether as principal or agent, violating or assisting in the violation of any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be sentenced to pay a maximum fine of $250 or be imprisoned for not more than 15 days, or both.
Subject to all applicable provisions of the Vehicle and Traffic Law, any unregistered motor vehicle or motorcycle may be operated, driven or used within the City of Rensselaer, provided that:
Annual inspections of unregistered and unlicensed motor vehicles and motorcycles will be made by the Rensselaer Police Department on dates to be announced in the official newspaper of the City of Rensselaer and posted in City Hall. If, upon inspection, a motor vehicle or motorcycle is found to employ a muffler, the make, model, year and serial number, if any, of said motor vehicle or motorcycle, as well as the owner's name and address, shall be set forth in the records of the Police Department of the City of Rensselaer for use in the enforcement of this chapter. A fee of $2 shall be charged for each such inspection, with all moneys so collected being deposited by the City Treasurer in the general fund of the City.