[Adopted 3-16-2009 by Ord. No. 1405-2009 (Ch. 186A, Art. IV, of the 1975 Code)]
For purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- DEMPSEY-HILLIARD CORRIDOR
- The area located between and including the northern side of Dempsey Avenue to the southern side of Hilliard Avenue, stretching from the eastern side of River Road to the western side of Undercliff Avenue.
- MUNICIPAL PARKING PERMIT
- A monthly or yearly permit issued by the Borough of Edgewater which, when properly displayed in a vehicle, authorizes the operator of the vehicle to park in a municipal permit parking space.
- MUNICIPAL PERMIT PARKING SPACE
- Any space within a parking area or in a lot designated for parking which is duly designated for the parking of a single vehicle with a municipal parking permit by lines painted or otherwise durably marked on the curb or on the surface of the street adjacent to or adjoining the parking space.
- PARK or PARKING
- The standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, upon a street or in a parking area otherwise than in obedience to traffic regulations, signs or signals.
- Passenger automobiles, motorcycles, and trucks weighing less than 1/2 ton. It shall not include trailers, recreational vehicles, buses, or farm machinery or equipment.
A portion of the parking area owned and maintained by the Borough and designated as Block 53, Lot 1, and part of Lot 2.02, also known as the parking lot across from the Municipal Building, as depicted on the Tax Assessment Map, shall consist of municipal permit parking spaces. The municipal permit parking spaces shall be exempt from the requirements of Borough Code § 282-18, and shall be clearly demarcated by the Borough as municipal permit parking spaces.
No person shall park or cause to be parked a vehicle in a municipal permit parking space unless said person has obtained a municipal parking permit from the Borough Clerk and has properly displayed said municipal parking permit in accordance with this article. The Borough Clerk shall not issue more municipal parking permits than exist municipal permit parking spaces.
A permit shall not be transferable to another individual or vehicle, except as expressly set forth in this article.
The permit shall be conspicuously displayed on the reverse side of the interior rear-view mirror of the vehicle, or, if on a motorcycle, in a similar conspicuous location.
The permit shall be utilized only on the vehicle for which it was issued and shall contain the registered license plate number for the vehicle as issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. It shall be incumbent upon the permit holder to notify the Borough Clerk should the resident change vehicles or the license plate of said vehicle. Failure to notify the Borough Clerk may result in a ticket being issued for violation of this article.
When the permit is so affixed, the vehicle may be parked in a municipal-owned parking lot in one of the designated municipal permit parking spaces.
Any resident of the Borough of Edgewater desiring to park in a municipal permit parking space shall apply for a municipal parking permit from the Borough Clerk.
The Borough Clerk is hereby authorized to issue municipal parking permits for vehicles owned by a bona fide resident of the Borough of Edgewater on a first-come, first-served basis; however, preference shall be given to those residents or business owners located in the Dempsey-Hilliard Corridor.
In the event that there exist more municipal permit parking spaces than residents and business owners located in the Dempsey-Hilliard Corridor who desire to purchase municipal parking permits, the Borough Clerk may offer such excess municipal parking permits to all other residents and business owners in the Borough of Edgewater on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each permit shall be issued and be valid for and during the designated month or year for which it is issued and not thereafter. The application shall include the following information:
The Borough may issue both yearly and monthly municipal parking permits, at the option of the Mayor and Council. All permits shall be issued on a first-come, first-served basis. In the event that the demand for permits exceeds the supply, the Borough Clerk may maintain a waiting list to establish priority for any permit that may become available.
The cost of a monthly municipal parking permit shall be $40, and the permit shall be valid from the first day of the designated month until 11:59 p.m. on the last day of the month.
The cost of a yearly municipal parking permit shall be $400, and the permit shall be valid for one year from the date of issuance.
The following shall be deemed violations of this article:
The parking of any vehicle not bearing a valid municipal parking permit in a municipal permit parking space;
Failure to properly display a municipal parking permit;
The parking of a vehicle in a municipal permit parking space bearing a municipal parking permit that has been issued for a different vehicle; or
Any other noncompliance with the provisions of this article.
This article shall be enforced by the Police Department of the Borough of Edgewater.