[HISTORY: Adopted by the voters of the Town of Weston 11-4-2014. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Since colonial times the Town of Weston has taken its character from the many generations that have cherished local democracy, broad-based citizen involvement, and a strong sense of community. In the tradition of home rule, Westonites call Town Meetings in the belief that every eligible voter is a legislator. As embodied in this Charter, the Town Meeting and the Selectmen together are the legislative body of the Town.
Weston was an Aspetuck hunting ground until "outlivers" from the town of Fairfield began settling here in the early eighteenth century. Norfield Parish was created in 1757 and the Connecticut General Assembly formally recognized Weston as a separate, incorporated town thirty years later.
Early Weston was agricultural but soon the use of abundant water power led to the growth of industry. By 1830 Weston was a thriving town of 3,000 people and home to foundries, a grist mill, ax manufacturing, a furniture plant, and four churches. The population began to decline rapidly by the 1850's, however, due to the opening of the richer agricultural lands in Ohio, the development of steam-powered industry along the coast, and the rise of the industrial towns along the Naugatuck River.
The revival of the Town began early in the 20th century with the arrival of artists, musicians, theater people, writers, and summer residents from New York City, a vanguard of the waves of commuters who first arrived by automobile in the 1930's. This mixture remains and, together with its excellent schools and many conservation-protected lands, continues to give Weston its special character.
The first Town Charter was adopted by the voters in 1967 and was subsequently amended in 1976, 1979, and 2003. The current version was adopted by the voters on November 4, 2014.