Questions about eCode360? Municipal users Join us daily between 12pm and 1pm EDT to get answers and other tips!
City of Waltham, MA
Middlesex County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Cross references — Recording ordinances, § 1-6; annual inventory of City property to be submitted to Mayor and auditor, § 2-2; annual reports by boards and officers to Mayor, § 2-9; turn over of, and accounting for, funds, § 2-88; books and records to correspond to fiscal year, § 2-89.
[Gen. Ords. 1962, § 2-8]
There is hereby established a principal department to be known as the "City Clerk department."
[Gen. Ords. 1962, § 2-52]
The City Clerk shall have charge of the City Clerk Department. He shall notify the Auditor and Treasurer of all orders passed by the City Council authorizing appropriations, assessments, apportionments or abatements and also all boards and officers of all orders appropriating money to be expended by them or directing them to do or not to do or authorizing the doing of, any matter or thing, and of any other matter in any way affecting their powers, immediately after such orders are approved by the Mayor or are otherwise in force.
Cross reference — Clerk to keep seal, § 2-1.
[Gen. Ords. 1962, §§ 2-53, 17-1, 17-2]
The City Clerk shall keep a book alphabetically arranged showing the names of all streets which have been or may be laid out and accepted.
All orders laying out, altering, widening or discontinuing any street shall be recorded by the City Clerk in a book kept for that purpose.
Whenever any street is laid out, altered, widened or discontinued or any sidewalk is established, graded or constructed, under any law authorizing the assessment of a portion of the expense thereof upon real estate, the City Clerk shall, within 10 days thereafter, file in the Registry of Deeds of the southern district of the county, a declaration stating in general terms the action of the Council and its intention to make such assessments, and specifying the streets upon which such parcels of real estate to be assessed are situated, with the names of the owners thereof.
[Gen. Ords. 1962, § 2-54; Ord. No. 29679, 2-10-2003]
All fees authorized by law to be charged by the City Clerk for recording, for certified copies of records or for services rendered in the performance of any duty imposed on him as City Clerk, shall be collected by him excepting, however, that no charge shall be made to persons who have served in the forces of the United States, their widows or other dependents, for copies of records required of applicants for aid or pension by reason of such service.
The fees for copying, recording and providing certified copies of the following documents shall be as set forth herein:
For entering amendment of a record of the birth of a child born out of wedlock subsequently legitimized: $20.
For correcting errors in a record of birth: $25.
For furnishing certificate of birth: $10.
For entering delayed record of a birth: $15.
For filing certificate of a person conducting a business under any title other than his real name: $50.
For the filing by a person conducting business under any title other than his real name a statement of change of his residence, or of his discontinuance, retirement or withdrawal from, or of a change of location of such business: $30.
For furnishing certified copy of certificate of person conducting business under any title other than his real name, or a statement by such person of his discontinuance, retirement or withdrawal from such business: $10.
For recording the name and address, the date and number of the certificate issued to a person registered for the practice of podiatry in the Commonwealth: $50.
For correcting errors in a record of death: $20.
For furnishing a certificate of death: $10.
For entering notice of intention of marriage and issuing certificate thereof: $20.
For entering certificate of marriage filed by persons married out of the commonwealth: $20.
For issuing certificate of marriage: $10.
For filing for Board of Appeals or Board of Survey and Planning: $20.
For furnishing a certified copy of a ZBA decision: $5 per page.
For correcting errors in a record of a marriage: $20.
For recording power of attorney: $20.
For recording certificate of registration granted to a person to engage in the practice of optometry: $50.
For recording the name of the owner of a certificate of registration as a physician or osteopath in the commonwealth: $50.
For examining records or papers relating to birth, marriage or deaths upon the application of any person: the actual expense thereof but not less than $10.
For copying any manuscript or record pertaining to a birth, marriage, death or business certificate: $10.
For receiving and filing of a complete inventory of all items to be included in "going out of business sale," etc. — UCC filing: $50.
For filing a copy of written instrument or declaration of trust by the trustees of an association or trust or any amendment thereof, as provided by Section 2 of Chapter 182 of the Massachusetts General Laws: $50.
For recording any paper(s) not specifically named herein, the fee shall, unless otherwise provided, be $10 for the first page and $5 for each additional page.
[Gen. Ords. 1962, §§ 2-9, 2-56, 2-57; Ord. No. 29688, 3-10-2003; Ord. No. 30197, 6-27-2005]
There is hereby established the office of Assistant City Clerk. The Assistant City Clerk shall be elected by the council.
The Assistant City Clerk shall assist the City Clerk in the performance of the duties of his office. He shall also discharge the duties of the City Clerk when the officer is absent or unable to act and when there is a vacancy in the office of City Clerk and until his successor has been elected and has qualified. He shall also, in the absence of the City Clerk, act as clerk of the City Council. The Assistant City Clerk shall serve as clerk of all committees, except the Finance Committee, the Long-term Debt and Capital Planning Committee, the Community Development Committee and the Veterans' Services Committee, and shall make proper record in books of the proceedings and transactions of such committees. He shall keep posted in the committee room a calendar of all the meetings of such committees, and notify the members of such meetings when requested to do so by the Chairman or in such other manner as may be prescribed by rule of the City Council. The Assistant City Clerk shall attend all meetings of the Council and perform such duties for the Council and its committees as they may, from time to time, require. He shall be bonded in the same manner as the City Clerk.
State law reference — Assistant City Clerk, MGLA c. 41, § 18.
[Ord. No. 30197,6-27-2005]
The Executive Assistant to the City Clerk shall serve as clerk to the Community Development Committee, attending all meetings of the Committee, notifying the members of such meetings when requested to do so by the Chairman, making proper record in books of the proceedings and transactions of such Committee, performing such duties for the Committee as it may, from time to time, require, and performing such other duties as may be prescribed by rule of the City Council.