[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough Council of the Borough of Columbia 8-11-2014 by Ord. No. 854. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The following words when used in this chapter shall have the meanings hereby respectively ascribed thereto:
- A person 18 years old or older.
- EXTINGUISHMENT AGENT
- Continuous water source (example: garden hose), fire extinguisher or a device approved by the Columbia Borough Fire Chief or his/her designee.
- Animal and vegetable waste, including offal, carcasses, fat, bone, swill and vegetables and all animal refuse resulting from storage, handling, preparation and consumption of food.
- Discarded articles or materials not including garbage, sewage and liquid wastes, but including ashes, junk, building material and combustible and noncombustible waste other than rubbish, as hereinafter set forth.
- Combustible organic and inorganic material specifically limited to dried leaves, tree branches, other plant material, and paper, cardboard and like material.
No person or persons shall set or maintain any fire upon any of the streets, sidewalks, alleys or public grounds in the Borough of Columbia or burn or cause to be burned thereon any rubbish or other material or substance of any kind.
Fires on public property shall be permitted for special events with the approval of the Columbia Borough Council and Columbia Borough Fire Chief or his/her designee.
No person or persons shall burn or attempt to burn any garbage or refuse or any other material other than material approved by the Columbia Borough Fire Chief or his designee.
Outdoor fires shall be permitted upon private property, provided that the following regulations and restrictions are strictly adhered to:
Every resident wishing to burn an outdoor fire shall first make application to the Borough of Columbia.
Applications shall be inspected and approved by the Columbia Borough Fire Chief or his/her designee.
Once approved, the outdoor fire device shall not be relocated or replaced without reapplication, inspection and approval.
Every outdoor fire shall be burned in, and confined to, a noncombustible, ventilated container covered with a screen of 1/2 inch or smaller mesh or with other noncombustible containers or incinerators.
Every resident must have an approved extinguishment agent on-site and operational at all times when the fire is burning.
No such fire shall be closer than 10 feet from any building or structure.
No fire is allowed to burn upon any day except between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. EST.
No such fire shall be allowed to burn unless attended by an adult.
Whoever violates any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction in a summary proceeding, be sentenced for each violation to pay a fine of not more than $600, together with costs of prosecution for each violation, and, in default of the payment of such fine and costs, to undergo imprisonment for not more than 30 days. Each violation of any provision of this chapter, and each day that such violation shall exist, shall constitute a separate violation and offense.
Any person who violates any provision of this chapter may have their permit to use an outdoor fire devise suspended or revoked by Columbia Borough Council, in the Council's sole discretion.