[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Fanwood 10-17-2016 by Ord. No. 16-08R. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ANIMAL CARE FACILITY
- An animal control center or animal shelter, maintained by or under contract with any state, county, or municipality whose mission and practice is, in whole, or significant part, the rescue and placement of animals in permanent homes or rescue organizations.
- ANIMAL RESCUE ORGANIZATION
- Any not-for-profit organization which has tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code, whose mission and practice is, in whole or in significant part, the rescue and placement of animals in permanent homes.
- A member of the species of domestic cat, Felis catus.
- A member of the species of domestic dog, Canis familiaris.
- OFFER FOR SALE
- To sell, offer for sale or adoption, advertise for the sale of, barter, auction, give away or otherwise dispose of a dog or cat.
- PET SHOP
- A retail establishment where dogs and cats are sold, exchanged, bartered or offered for sale as pet animals to the general public at retail. Such definition shall not include an animal care facility or animal rescue organization, as defined.
A pet shop shall maintain records stating the name and address of the animal care facility or animal rescue organization that each cat or dog was obtained from for at least two years following the date of acquisition. Such records shall be made available, immediately upon request, to Borough police and submitted annually, and no later than May 1 of each year, to the Borough of Fanwood. Each pet shop shall display on each cage a label stating the name and address of the animal care facility or animal rescue organization of each animal kept in the cage.