City of South Amboy, NJ
Middlesex County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: 1984 Code §§ 157-1—157-5 as amended through December 31, 2016. Amendments noted where applicable.]
No person shall park any trailer or camp car on any street in the city, nor shall any trailer or camp car, whether or not located on private property, be used for business or commercial purposes of any kind, except as provided in Section 157-4, nor shall any person erect any tent camp or other portable material for tenting or camping within the limits of the city.
No premises shall be rented for the purpose of placing thereon a trailer, camp car or tent.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
Any portable material or canvas supported by poles, ropes or otherwise, to permit occupancy as a temporary dwelling or sleeping place for one or more persons.
A vehicle, whether self-propelled or otherwise, including commercial tractor-trailers, having no permanent foundation which may be used as a dwelling or sleeping place for one or more persons or as a place of business or for the storage of materials of any kind.
A trailer with wheels attached may be parked temporarily at a construction site for use as a construction office; provided that such trailer shall be removed within 10 days after completion of construction.
Any person violating any of the provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punishable by a fine of not more than $500 or by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or both.
Any provision of this chapter notwithstanding, a trailer or camper trailer may be parked, placed or located off the street for a period not to exceed 48 hours while engaged in the process of loading or unloading; and any boat, trailer or camper trailer may be parked in a driveway from sunset to sunrise the following morning where such boat, trailer or camper trailer is then being used for recreational purposes.
Transients through or visitors to the City may park trailers or camper trailers in a driveway, side or rear yard of an occupied dwelling for a period of time not to exceed 10 days, where such transient or visitor makes immediate application to the City Chief of Police for a permit to so park on the premises of the occupied dwelling. Not more than one such permit shall be issued to any one trailer or camper trailer owner or operator in any twelve-month period. No permit shall be granted unless the parking is without charge therefor.
Emergency or temporary parking or stopping of a trailer, camper trailer or trailered boat is permitted on any street or highway within the City for not longer than one hour, subject, however, to any other and further prohibitions or limitations imposed by the traffic and parking regulations for that street or highway, unless otherwise authorized by the City of South Amboy Police Department.
Anything herein to the contrary notwithstanding, a trailer may be temporarily parked or stored in the open in connection with:
A public health program sponsored by the Board of Health of the City or other public health agency.
A program sponsored by any public board or agency of the City or of its Board of Education.
A carnival or other affair or function authorized by the City Council.
[Ord. No. 27-2010; Ord. No. 6-2012]
As used in this Article:
Any self propelled or non-self propelled vehicle, or portable or semi-portable structure, whether standing on wheels or not, whether places upon a permanent or non-permanent foundation or nay manufactured home, over the road trailer or converted or altered vehicle structure, used or intended for use as a temporary or permanent storage, office, laboratory, business or educational facility or any other industrial or commercial uses. Nothing in this Article shall be construed to prohibit the storage or parking of any recreational trailers, recreational vehicle, recreational mobile home, camper, boat trailer, travel trailer used exclusively for private, nonprofit or noncommercial recreational purposes or the seasonal and legal parking of transportables used in an active commercial enterprise, such as landscaping, residential and commercial contracting, lawn and yard maintenance and similar seasonal commercial business.
[Ord. No. 27-2010; Ord. No. 6-2012]
No person shall own, operate, lease or maintain within the limits of the City of South Amboy any transportable or transportable as defined under this Article without having obtained a license and paid the required license fee as hereinafter set forth. A license shall not be required for the legal and temporary parking of transportables for less than 30 days on site.
[Ord. No. 27-2010]
Applications for the licenses shall be made to the City Clerk and shall contain the following information:
The name and address of the applicant; if the applicant is a corporation or partnership, the name and address of the registered agent and the address of the partnership's or corporation's principal place of business.
The name and address of the owner of the property; if the applicant is other than an owner, an owner's authorization to submit shall be provided at the time of the application.
A description and identification of the site where transportable(s) is/are to be parked or maintained and a description of the transportable facilities and use shall be submitted.
The size of the property and whether any provisions have been made for the access to and from the transportable, the parking areas, driveways and sidewalks.
Appropriate information as to the location and type of facilities provided for water supply, sewage disposal and garbage disposal.
Appropriate evidence as to the good character and business responsibility of the applicant.
Appropriate information as to the dimensions and size of the transportable to be licensed and an identification or serial number for the transportable.
Contents of the transportable assuming the transportable shall be used for storage purposes.
A statement of need identifying reasons for this proposal, circumstances leading to the necessity for use of a temporary transportable, and the expected length of time the temporary transportable shall remain in place.
A property survey upon which the applicant portrays the scaled location of any existing or proposed transportable and other site or landscaping improvements.
Additionally, at the time of submittal to the Mayor and Council a copy of the recommendations or resolution of approval from the appropriate board; (whichever is applicable as per subsection "Application Procedure") shall accompany this application form.
[Ord. No. 27-2010; Ord. No. 15-2011]
The following fees shall be established for a Transportable Use License issued in the City of South Amboy:
A. Annual License (per trailer)
$200.00 upon application and for first calendar year
B. Annual License (per trailer)
C. Late Fees (per trailer)
Up to 30 days: $50.00
Between 31 and 99 days: $75.00
100 days: $100.00 and $20.00 per day thereafter
[Ord. No. 27-2010; Ord. No. 15-2011]
The applicant shall obtain the necessary application forms and materials from the City Clerk's Office. The City Clerk shall then transfer the application to the Zoning Officer to review the application for compliance or noncompliance with the use requirements of Chapter 53, Article XIX Zoning Regulations.
The Zoning Officer, upon determination of the absence of pre-existing use or structure status, will direct the applicant to the Planning Board[1] for variance and/or site plan approval. All applicable development application fees shall be submitted in accordance with development application procedures.
A copy of the resulting resolution shall then be submitted to the City Clerk from the Planning Board, attached to the original application form. The whole package shall then be sent to the Mayor and Council.
If the temporary transportable application fee is approved, the applicant shall submit the appropriate licensing fee to the City Clerk before a license will be issued.
Editor's Note: The Planning Board's authority has been expanded to include powers of a Board of Adjustment pursuant to applicable Ordinance No. 12-2010.
[Ord. No. 27-2010]
No license shall be issued for the conduct of any such business, industry or other nonresidential use and no permit shall be issued for anything or act if the premises, building or location of such transportable or transportable be used for a purpose that does not fully comply with any ordinances of the City of South Amboy. No such license or permit shall be issued for the conduct of such use or performance of any act which would involve a violation of Chapter 53, Article XIX, Zoning Regulation.
[Ord. No. 27-2010]
Each premises upon which a licensed transportable is located shall at all times comply with all proper police, health and fire regulations imposed by the City of South Amboy, Board of Health, the Police Chief or the Fire Chief. Any such transportable shall be subject to an examination and inspection by day or night by the appropriate City Official. The Construction Officials of the City shall be responsible for the enforcement of the licensing for the transportable as defined in this Article and shall periodically (not less than 4 times per year) file a written report to the Mayor and Council regarding compliance by transportable owners regarding this Article.
[Ord. No. 27-2010]
All applications pursuant to this Article shall be reviewed by the Planning Board in compliance with Section 157-14 of this Article. All appropriate fees required by the Board shall apply.
[Ord. No. 27-2010]
Any person may request a waiver or exemption to the Council pursuant to the licensing provisions of this Article. The waiver or exemption shall be in writing and shall include the reasons for the waiver or exemption and the length of time the waiver or exemption is needed. The waiver request shall contain all information required for submittal of a formal application. Application to and a resolution from the Planning Board shall be required. Said resolution shall be forwarded to the Governing Body. The final decision on the waiver request shall be made by resolution by the Governing Body of the City.
[Ord. No. 27-2010]
Any person may make an application to the Mayor and Council for the license fee for a transportable to be prorated over the calendar year provided the use or facility of the transportable is temporary in nature.