[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Shrewsbury 12-8-1986 by Ord. No. 551 (Ch. 70 of 1973 Code); amended in its entirety 3-3-2003 by Ord. No. 803. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
- A. Located at the intersection of and along Sycamore Avenue and Broad Street/State Highway 35, and designated on the Borough of Shrewsbury Tax Map as Block 30, Lots 13 (16.13 acres) and 13.01/13A.
- B. Structures located within the Municipal Complex:
- (1) Shrewsbury Municipal Center: designated as 419 Sycamore Avenue, used for official business of the Borough of Shrewsbury.
- (2) Shrewsbury Historical Society Museum: used as an education and research center.
- (3) Wardell House: a Colonial and Greek revival period building listed on the State and National Historic Registers.
- (4) Manson Park Gazebos: open-sided, roofed structures.
- A public square or open space located within the Municipal Complex.
- An open-sided, roofed structure or pavilion.
- MUNICIPAL COURT
- All sessions of the Municipal Court of the Borough of Shrewsbury, regular and special, held in the Municipal Center.
- All areas that are used by Borough officials for the transaction of Borough business with the general public.
- An area of land set aside for public use, having facilities for recreation, playing fields, and playgrounds.
- PARKING AREA
- An open area used for the open storage of motor vehicles and includes any driveways and access drives.
- PUBLIC MEETING
- Any meeting conducted in the Municipal Center and elsewhere in the Borough of Shrewsbury by any board, commission, committee, council, agency or department of the Borough of Shrewsbury to which the public is invited, allowed or encouraged to attend.
- Includes carrying or having in one's possession a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other lighted smoking equipment.
- A combination of materials to form a construction for occupancy, use or ornamentation, whether installed on, above or below the surface of the parcels of land.
To protect the health welfare and comfort of employees and the general public, all facilities/structures, courtyard, parks, parking areas, walking paths, landscaped areas and open spaces located within the Municipal Complex and all other Borough-owned property and areas located in the Borough of Shrewsbury shall be smoke free at all times to protect and preserve the health and comfort of the general public and employees from the toxic and annoying effects of tobacco smoke, and to protect life and property from fire.
Smoking shall be prohibited in:
The Municipal Courtroom and Public Meeting Room located in the Shrewsbury Municipal Center;
All rooms including but not limited to conference rooms, offices, lunchrooms, locker rooms, rest rooms, and lavatories; all entryways, corridors, hallways and all other portions of buildings located within the Municipal Complex;
Recreation areas, playgrounds, park facilities, playing fields and open spaces located within the park area designated as Manson Park and shall be prohibited in any future park constructed within the Municipal Complex.
Courtyards, parking areas or paths, landscaped areas and open spaces located within the Municipal Complex.
Parker Park, located on Patterson Avenue.
Robert Graham Athletic Fields, located at the end of Sickles Place.
Esther Hymer Nature Preserve, located on Williamsburg Drive.
Buttonwood Park, located on Buttonwood Drive.
Beech Tree Park, located on Beech Tree Lane and Sycamore Avenue.
Public Works headquarters, grounds and parking areas, located on White Road.
Patriot Isle, located on Sycamore Avenue.
Borough Council may establish regulations by resolution to clarify or carry out the purpose of this chapter.
Unless otherwise provided by law or statute, any person violating the above prohibition shall, upon conviction, be subject to a fine of not less than $50 nor more than $1,250, a term of imprisonment not exceeding 90 days or a period of community service not exceeding 90 days, or any combination thereof.