City of Haverhill, MA
Essex County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents

§ 208-12 Permit required for connections.

No building permit shall be issued by the City for new building construction within the City unless a written permit has been obtained for a sewer connection from the proposed building to the City's facilities, provided that the proposed building is located within a reasonable distance from said facilities or an extension thereto, as determined by the Director.

§ 208-13 Connection to City facilities required if within reasonable distance.

No person shall install, renew or repair any new, old or existing subsurface wastewater disposal system, including septic tanks, if a connection to the City's facilities is or can be installed within a reasonable distance as determined by the Director.

§ 208-14 Permit required to open or disturb public sewer.

No unauthorized person shall uncover, make any connections with or opening into, use, alter or disturb any public sewer or appurtenance thereof without first obtaining a written permit from the Director.

§ 208-15 Fees for sewer and drain permits.

[Added 9-30-2003 by Doc. 153-D]
The City Engineer shall have the power to set fees for the required permit for various sewer and drain main and service installation, connection, repair and transfer. The permit fee schedule shall be posted in the City Engineer's office and be as listed below:
Sewer or drain service connection: $200.
Sewer or drain service repair: $100.
Sewer or drain service transfer: $25.
Sewer or drain main installation: $500.
Sewer or drain main repair: $200.
Sewer or drain main transfer: $25.
Sewer service fee is per unit; drain service fee is per connection; and sewer/drain main fee is per right-of-way.
[Added 7-28-2015 by Doc. 94]

§ 208-16 Responsibility for costs and expenses.

All costs and expenses incident to the installation and connection of the building sewer and/or private sewer shall be borne by the owner. The owner shall indemnify the City from any loss or damage that may directly or indirectly be occasioned by the installation or repair of the building sewer and/or private sewer.

§ 208-17 Permits granted to licensed drainlayers.

The City Engineer may grant permits to licensed drainlayers to enter building sewers or drains into the public sewers or drains or into private sewers or drains entering such public sewers or drains in accordance with the terms of this chapter and the rules and regulations made therefor by the City Council and the Board of Health; and the City Engineer shall cause to be kept a complete record, in a book provided for that purpose, of all such permits granted, giving the name of the street and the number of the estate, if any, the name of the owner or owners and of the applicant for such permit, the size and kind of drain or sewer entered, the name of the drainlayer making the entrance and such other facts in connection therewith as may be of importance as matter of record.

§ 208-18 Applications for permits; authorization from property owner.

[Added 6-24-1997 by Doc. 115; amended 9-30-2003 by Doc. 153-B]
Applications for permits to extend, install or connect any private or public sewer or drain with a public sewer or drain, or with a private sewer or drain entering such public sewer or drain, must be made in writing to the City Engineer by a licensed drainlayer acting as an agent for the owner of the subject property. Applications for permit to alter or repair any private or public sewer or drain that connects to a public sewer or drain, or to a private sewer or drain entering such public sewer or drain, must be made in writing to the City Engineer by a licenses drainlayer acting as an agent for the owner of the subject property. Such applications must be accompanied by a clear description of the premises, work to be performed and the type of material required. All such applications must further include an agreement on the part of the licensed drainlayer to abide by all the provisions of this chapter and to waive claim for damages in case of revocation as hereinafter provided.
A written statement from the property owner authorizing discharge of the authorized drainlayer that currently holds a valid permit must be submitted to the City Engineer prior to a new permit being issued to a different licensed drainlayer acting as agent for the owner of the subject property.

§ 208-19 Revocation of permits.

[Added 6-24-1997 by Doc. 115]
Permits to connect with a public sewer or drain or with a private drain entering such public sewer or drain may at any time be revoked and annulled by the City Council for such cause as it may deem sufficient, and all parties in interest shall be held to have waived the right to claim damages on account of such revocation or annulment, provided that such revocation shall itself be annulled on compliance with the provisions of this chapter and the rules and regulations of the Board of Health.

§ 208-20 Manner of laying and connecting building sewers.

Connections between the building plumbing and the building sewer at a point approximately 10 feet outside the building foundation shall be made with a proper adapter. The building sewer shall be connected only with the wye, tee or chimney mentioned in the permit issued for such sewer by the City Engineer. In the absence of a wye or tee fitting laid with the main sewer, connection to the sewer shall be made by means of a proper saddle fitting securely fastened and bonded to the trunk sewer. Any other type of connection must be specifically approved by the City Engineer. No building sewer shall be connected directly to a manhole, except in special cases, with the approval of the City Engineer. Wherever possible, connections to the main sewer shall be made by slants at or near the center of such sewers and at angles of 45°. All changes in direction of the building sewer shall require a cleanout connection to the surface; changes in direction of 90° or more shall be made at a proper manhole.

§ 208-21 Removal of materials for street openings.

In opening any public street or way, all pavement shall be removed with the least possible injury or loss of remaining pavement and, together with the material excavated from the trench, shall be placed where they will cause the least practical inconvenience to the public or as may be directed by the Director of Public Works.

§ 208-22 Backfilling of building sewers.

No portion of the building sewer shall be covered until inspected. Backfilling shall be conducted in accordance with accepted good practice and in the presence of the inspector. Materials used for the backfill shall all be approved by the Inspector and shall be placed by hand and properly tamped in layers not exceeding four inches in depth to a point 12 inches over the top of the pipe. Machine backfilling may be used for the remaining depth. Special care shall be taken in backfilling areas which are within the traveled way to assure a minimum of settlement. Where required by the City Engineer, an eight-inch concrete slab shall be installed under the final pavement to avoid the expense and difficulty of repeated reworking of a settling trench. Said concrete slab shall extend over undisturbed earth on both sides of the trench for a minimum of eight inches.

§ 208-23 Inspections.

[Amended 9-30-2003 by Doc. 153
Inspection of the completed work shall be done by the Engineering Department. The drainlayer must receive permission from the City Engineer to begin the permitted sewer/drain work and provide a minimum 24 hours' advance notification for inspection. No portion of the work shall be covered prior to inspection. Any inspection made outside the hours of the regular workweek shall be made at the inspector's overtime rate as determined in the contractual agreement between the City of Haverhill and the employee's Union and shall be paid by the drainlayer. Upon final inspection and approval, the inspector shall complete the inspection report.

§ 208-24 Separate and independent building sewers required; exception.

A separate and independent building sewer shall be provided for every building, except where one building stands at the rear of another on an interior lot and no private sewer is available or can be constructed to the rear building through an adjoining alley, court, yard or driveway. Under these circumstances and upon approval of the Director, the building sewer from the front building may be extended to the rear building and the whole considered as one building sewer.

§ 208-25 Construction of private sewers.

A private sewer for the collection of two or more building sewers shall be constructed only upon receipt of written approval by the Director.

§ 208-26 Use of old building sewers.

Old building sewers may be used in connection with new buildings only when they are found, on examination and test by the Director, to meet all requirements of this chapter.

§ 208-27 Standards for construction materials and installation methods.

The size, slope, alignment and materials of construction of a building sewer and/or private sewer and the methods to be used in excavating, placing of the pipe, jointing, testing and backfilling the trench shall all conform to the requirements of the Building and Plumbing Code or other applicable rules and regulations of the Director of Public Works. In the absence of code provisions or in amplification thereof, the materials and procedures set forth in appropriate specifications of the American Society for Testing and Materials and Water Pollution Control Federation Manual of Practice No. 9 shall apply.

§ 208-28 Building sewer elevation.

Whenever possible, the building sewer shall be brought to the building at an elevation below the basement floor. In all buildings in which any plumbing connection is too low to permit gravity flow to the private sewer or public sewer, domestic wastewater discharged by such connection shall be lifted by an approved means and discharged to the building sewer.

§ 208-29 Certain connections and discharges prohibited.

[Added 6-24-1997 by Doc. 115; amended 2-28-2017 by Doc. 35]
Discharge prohibitions applicable to sanitary sewer system. No person shall make connection of roof downspouts, exterior foundation drains, areaway drains or other sources of surface runoff or groundwater to a building sewer and/or private sewer or to interior piping which in turn is connected directly or indirectly to a public sanitary sewer. Exhaust from engines, blowoff from boilers, drainage of gasoline or any explosive liquor, liquids or substances will not be permitted in any building sewer which is connected directly or indirectly to a public safety sanitary sewer.
Discharge prohibitions and restrictions applicable to the stormwater drainage system.
Prohibited activities.
Illicit discharges. No person shall dump, discharge, cause or allow to be discharged any pollutant or nonstormwater discharge into the MS4 or into the waters of the United States or the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Illicit connections. No person shall construct, use, allow, maintain or continue any illicit connection to the MS4, regardless of whether the connection was permissible under applicable law, regulation or custom at the time of connection.
Obstruction of the MS4. No person shall obstruct or interfere with the normal flow of stormwater into or out of the MS4 without prior written approval from the Superintendent.
Exempted activities. The following nonstormwater discharges or flows are exempt from the prohibition of nonstormwater discharges or flows, provided that the source is not a significant contributor of a pollutant to the MS4:
Discharge or flow resulting from firefighting activities;
Waterline flushing;
Landscape irrigation;
Diverted stream flow;
Rising groundwater;
Uncontaminated groundwater infiltration as defined in 40 CFR 35.2005(20);
Uncontaminated pumped groundwater;
Flow from potable water sources;
Roof downspouts, exterior foundation drains, sump pumps, areaway drains or other sources of surface runoff or groundwater;
Air-conditioning condensation;
Irrigation water, springs;
Water from crawl space pumps;
Footing drains (not including active groundwater dewatering systems);
Lawn watering;
Water from individual residential car washing;
Natural flow from riparian habitats and wetlands;
Discharge from dechlorinated swimming pool water (less than one part per million chlorine), provided the water is allowed to stand for one week prior to draining and the pool is drained in such a way as not to cause a nuisance;
Street wash waters;
Residential building wash waters without detergents;
Dye testing, provided oral notification is given to the Superintendent prior to the time of the test;
Nonstormwater discharge permitted under an NPDES stormwater discharge permit or a surface water discharge permit, waiver, or waste discharge order administered under the authority of EPA or MassDEP, provided that the discharge is in full compliance with the requirements of the permit, waiver, or order and applicable laws and regulations; and
Discharge for which advanced written approval is received from the Superintendent as necessary to protect public health, safety, welfare or the environment.
Transitional period. Residential property owners shall have 90 days from the effective date of § 208-29B to comply with § 208-29B(1), provided good cause is shown for the failure to comply during that period.
Emergency suspension of MS4 access. The Superintendent may suspend MS4 access to any person or property without prior written notice when such suspension is necessary to stop an actual or threatened discharge of pollutants that presents imminent risk of harm to the public health, safety, welfare or the environment. In the event any person fails to comply with an emergency suspension order, the Superintendent may take all reasonable steps to prevent or minimize harm to the public health, safety, welfare or the environment.
Notification of spills. Notwithstanding other requirements of local, state or federal law, as soon as a person responsible for a site, or responsible for emergency response for a site has information of or suspects a release of materials at that site resulting in or which may result in discharge of pollutants to the MS4 or waters of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the person shall take all necessary steps to ensure containment, and cleanup of the release. In the event of a release of a pollutant, the person shall immediately notify the Fire and Police Departments, Board of Health, and the Superintendent. If the discharge of pollutants is from a commercial or industrial site, the owner or operator of the site shall retain on site a written record of the discharge and the actions taken to prevent its recurrence. Such records shall be retained for at least three years.

§ 208-30 Standards for connection.

The connection of the building sewer or private sewer into the public sewer shall conform to the requirements of the Building and Plumbing Code or other applicable rules and regulations of the City or the procedures set forth in appropriate specifications of the American Society for Testing and Materials or the Water Pollution Control Federation Manual of Practice No. 9. All such connections shall be made gastight and watertight. Any deviation from the prescribed procedures and materials must be approved by the Director before installation.

§ 208-31 Guarding of excavations; restoration of surfaces.

All excavations for building sewer and/or private sewer installation shall be adequately guarded with barricades and lights so as to protect the public from hazard. Streets, sidewalks, parkways and other public property disturbed in the course of the work shall be restored in a manner satisfactory to the Director.

§ 208-32 Issuance of permits determined by facilities' capacity.

The issuance of permits to connect to the City's facilities shall be halted at such time as 80% of the capacity of the facilities has been allocated. No new permits shall be issued after such time unless previously issued permits are abandoned or revoked or additional capacity is added to the facilities.