Township of Franklin, NJ
Somerset County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
When a house is constructed on a public street within 250 feet of a public water main in that street, the owner will be required to extend the main, and only one meter per tap will be permitted.
In apartment buildings, separate meters on a common service line may be permitted, but the owner will pay the same for the second and for each succeeding meter.
Water must not be allowed to run to waste to prevent freezing in the service pipes or their attachments or for any other purposes, except when taken through a meter, and must not be used for any other purposes than those indicated in the application and permit for same.
A meter will be required in every house or building supplied with water from the mains.
The stop at the curb shall not be used or tampered with other than by an authorized agent of the Water Division.
No consumer shall supply water to any other person or family or suffer them to take it except for use on his own premises and for the purposes specified in the application, nor shall he, after water is introduced into any building or upon any premises, make any changes affecting the water supply without a written permit from the Director stating the particular changes to be made and purposes for which the water is to be used.
Owners of houses that become vacant must give notice, in writing, of such vacancy at the office of the Water Division so that the water may be turned off. If the water is left on during the vacancy, the customary rent will be charged. No deduction in water rent will be made for an unexpired quarter, nor will any deduction be made if the owner fails to report the vacancy as above stated.
Any consumer wishing to discontinue the use of water supplied from the mains must give two days' notice thereof, in writing, at the office of the Water Division.
All persons are prohibited from opening or in any way interfering with any fireplug or hydrant for any purpose whatever except under the direction of the Director or his agent. The Chiefs of the various volunteer fire companies, assistant officers and members of said departments are authorized to use the hydrants and plugs for the purpose of extinguishing fires or cleaning their engines and hose or department materials or making trails of the hose or department, but all such use shall be under the direction and supervision of the respective Chief or his assistants, and in no event shall an inexperienced or incompetent person be permitted to manipulate or control in any way any hydrant, plug or other fixture.
If standpipes, sprinkler systems or other devices used or to be used solely for the suppression of fires are designed and maintained as independent and separate systems which are capable of use only for suppression of fire, no charge shall be made for water used in such standpipes or other systems. Any owner desiring to install or maintain any standpipe, sprinkler system or other device for the suppression of fire shall make application to the Water Division, which application shall show the existing or proposed independent system. If the system meet all requirements of the Water Division, the application shall be approved by the Director. Such approved systems shall at all times be subject to inspection by the Director of Public Works or his authorized agents. No person, firm or corporation shall make any connection to any such approved independent system or suffer or permit the making of any tap or connection whereby water may be drawn from such system for use other than purposes of fire suppression and testing of system. No alteration in or extensions to any approved system shall be made without first notifying the Director.
Street openings for the purpose of installing or repairing waterlines must be made in accordance with all applicable Township ordinances.[1]
Editor's Note: See Ch. 333, Streets and Sidewalks.
No person shall attached, alter or extend any water pipe nor make any alterations in any tap stop or other fixture nor do any work calculated to increase the facilities for using water nor turn on or off the connection to the main or at the curb without first having the consent of the Director.
No person shall prevent or hinder any Township employees from making inspections at any reasonable time of all service connections, meters, taps and fixtures.
No person, other than employees of the Township, shall break or remove any seal placed upon any meter by the Township or its agents or employees, nor shall any person tamper with, deface or attempt to alter any meter. The owner shall be responsible for all meter repairs occasioned by other than ordinary wear, and the cost of repairs becoming necessary by reason of the negligent or willful conduct of the owner or any other person, except an agent of the Township, shall, if remaining unpaid for more than 30 days after billing, become a lien on the owner's property and shall be collected as other charges.
No person shall keep or store any explosives, acids or other substances likely to insure or damage the water supply system within 50 feet of any of the mains or appurtenances of the water supply or distribution system without first obtaining a permit from the Director.
No person shall tap or connect any water main or insert a stopcock therein except duly authorized employees of the Township or as authorized by the Director of Public Works.
No person, except a Township employee or other authorized person, shall open or close any valve in the public main or tamper or interfere with any valve or valve box cover.
No person shall use a service connection to supply premises or property other than that particularly described in the application hereinabove provided.
[Amended 9-27-2016 by Ord. No. 4164-16; 3-12-2019 by Ord. No. 4272-19]
An owner may request that his meter be removed and tested in order to determine its accuracy. If tests indicate that the meter is recording in excess of 102% on a full flow, the owner shall be entitled to an adjustment in his last quarterly bill on the basis of the percentage in excess of 102%, and no charge shall be made for the test. If the test indicates that the meter is recording less than 102% on a full flow, no adjustment in the owner's bill shall be made, and the owner shall be charged $50 for making the test. No adjustment shall be made in any owner's bill because of leaks or for any other reason, except as hereinabove set forth.
Meters two inches and larger are required to be tested once each year. The testing is done by a testing company approved by the Water Department. The cost of this testing is paid for by the customer, and certification of such test be sent to the Water Department.
Irrigation meters (regardless of the size) are required to be tested before the beginning of each season, once each year. The testing is done by a testing company approved by the Water Department. The cost of this testing is paid for by the customer, and certification of such test be sent to the Water Department.
When the distance from the curb stop to the house or building to be serviced is less than 50 feet and the pipe is 1 1/2 inches or less in diameter, no joints shall be permitted. No sweat joints shall be permitted underground between the main and the meter. Only flared, IPS brass and approved compression joints shall be allowed.
No water service pipes nor any underground water pipes shall be run or laid in the same trench with a sewer service or drainage piping, unless:
The bottom of the water service pipe, at all joints, is at least 18 inches above the top of the adjacent sewer line or drainage piping;
The water service pipe shall be placed on a firm foundation at one side of the common ditch;
The materials and joints of the building drain and building sewer shall be installed in such manner and shall possess the necessary strength and durability to prevent the escape of solids, liquids and gases therefrom under all known adverse conditions, such as corrosion, strains due to temperature changes, settlement vibrations and superimposed loads; and
Building sewers installed in the same trench with the water service pipe must be constructed of durable materials which are corrosive-resistant and are installed so as to remain watertight and rustproof. Only sewer pipe with watertight joints, as approved by the Director, shall be acceptable for this construction.
All water meters shall be installed so that they may be read from the outside of the building. A two-part meter shall be installed in which the dial system is located on the outside of the building and is easily accessible for reading, excluding commercial buildings.