[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Pound Ridge: Art. I, 11-14-1985 as L.L. No. 3-1985. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Fire prevention — See Ch. 55.
Editor's Note: This local law also repealed former Article I, Automatic Telephone-Dialing Devices, adopted 6-12-1980 as L.L. No. 1-1980, as amended.
The purpose of this Article is to provide regulations and standards applicable to alarm devices, alarm businesses and alarm users, as defined in this Article, to reduce the number of false alarms and to encourage the installation and maintenance of reliable alarm devices.
For the purpose of this Article, the following definitions shall apply:
- ALARM AGENT
- Any person who is employed by any business defined as an alarm business by this section.
- ALARM BUSINESS
- Any business, firm, corporation or other commercial entity which is in the business of owning, monitoring, maintaining, installing, leasing or selling an alarm device or system of alarm devices.
- ALARM DEVICE
- Any device which is designed to transmit an alarm signal when activated by a criminal or unauthorized act, or by smoke, fire or other emergency requiring Police or Fire Department response.
- ALARM INSTALLATION
- Any burglar or fire device, or aggregation of such devices installed on or within the general location of a building or building located on a common site.
- ALARM USER
- Any person, corporation or partnership, etc., on whose premises an alarm device is owned, operated, used or maintained.
- AUTOMATIC DIALER
- A telephone device that automatically selects a telephone line connected to a central alarm station.
- CENTRAL ALARM STATION
- Any facility operated by a private firm which is manned by operators who receive, record or validate alarm signals and relay information about such validated signals to Police or Fire Headquarters, when appropriate.
- FALSE ALARM
- Any alarm, audible or communicated to a central alarm station, resulting from the activation of an alarm device to which the Police or Fire Department responds or is expected to respond, which is not the result of an unauthorized act, robbery, burglary or other crime, fire or emergency.
- LOCAL ALARM DEVICE
- Any device not connected to a central alarm station.
- MANUAL ALARM DEVICE
- Any alarm device in which activation of the alarm signal is initiated by the direct action of the alarm user.
- REGISTRATION AUTHORITY
- The Registration Authority shall be the Town Clerk or his/her designee.
Any property owner or lessees of property in the Town of Pound Ridge intending to install any alarm device shall first register with the Town Clerk the alarm features of such alarm device, and details of the alarm businesses involved in the installation, repair and monitoring of the alarm device must be included.
All owners of existing alarm installations must comply with the registration provisions of this Article within 45 days after its adoption.
Any change in the alarm installation which affects data on the registration requires reregistration.
The failure of any person, natural or corporate, to register as required by § 36-3 or perform or obey any provisions of this Article constitutes a violation punishable by a fine of up to $100 for each such violation.
Any person who shall intentionally tamper with, destroy or compromise any alarm or alarm device shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
No person shall use or cause or permit the use of any alarm device that automatically selects a direct telephone line of the Police or Fire Department of the Town of Pound Ridge and then reproduces any prerecorded voice messages to report any robbery, burglary, fire or other emergency.
It shall be a violation of this Article to intentionally cause a false alarm, and any person who does intentionally cause a false alarm shall be subject to the penalty provisions in § 36-4.
Any owner or lessees of property having an alarm device on their premises shall pay to the Town a fine for each and every false alarm to which the Police or Fire Department responds in each calendar year as follows:
First false alarm each year: $25.
Second false alarm in any twelve-month period: $50.
Third and subsequent false alarms: $100.
[Amended 3-12-1987 by L.L. No. 1-1987]
The Town Board shall designate the Chief of Police of the Town of Pound Ridge and the Fire Inspector of the Town of Pound Ridge and their respective designees to administer and enforce the provisions of this Article.
The repeal of the previous Town ordinance by this Article shall not affect rights nor liabilities which have previously arisen thereunder, nor shall the provisions of this Article apply to or govern the construction or punishment of any offense committed prior to its effective date.