[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Commission of the City of Royal Oak 10-12-1987 by Ord. No. 87-14; amended in its entirety 4-14-1997 by Ord. No. 97-3. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "Skateboard Ordinance."
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CIVIC CENTER AREA
- That area bounded by and including Williams Street north from Third Street to Eleven Mile Road, east to Phillips Place, south to Third Street, and west to Williams Street.
- DOWNTOWN BUSINESS AREA
- That area bounded by and including Main Street north from Lincoln Avenue to Fifth Street, east to Troy Street, north to Eleven Mile Road, west to West Street, south to Lincoln Avenue, east to Main Street.
- IN-LINE SKATES, ROLLER BLADES and ROLLER SKATES
- A shoe with a set of wheels attached for skating over a flat surface.
- Persons on foot.
- That portion of a highway designed for or ordinarily used for pedestrian traffic.
- A single platform mounted on wheels, which is propelled solely by human power and which has no mechanism or other device with which to steer or to control the movement or direction of the platform.
[Amended 9-21-1998 by Ord. No. 98-9]
The operation of a skateboard is prohibited in the Downtown Business Area and the Civic Center Area. A person's skateboard may be impounded and held as evidence pending prosecution of an alleged offense.