[HISTORY: Adopted by the New Canaan Town Council 2-13-2001, effective 5-1-2001. Amendments noted where applicable.]
It is the purpose of this chapter to help protect public safety and welfare by providing an effective and easily recognizable system for the posting of street numbers to permit the rapid location of any building by emergency vehicles, such as, but not limited to, police, fire and ambulance services.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- An apartment, condominium building or condominium unit, single-family dwelling, multifamily dwelling, commercial establishment, government building and any other building or structure which may be occupied at any time by any person or persons.
- BUILDING UNIT NUMBER
- Is applied as follows: a number of no less than 2 1/2 inches in height, placed on each building unit, which number is visible from the street. In the case of a building which is served by its own driveway, and where the building is more than 50 feet from said street or is otherwise not clearly visible from the street, the owner shall, instead, display a number on a mailbox or fence or a post located at the side of the driveway entrance or sidewalk so as to make said number easily visible from the street. When a post is used, the building number shall be no less than two feet off the ground. When a mailbox is on the curbline of said property, as numbered in accordance herewith, the building number shall be placed on both sides of the box and shall have numbers at least 2 1/2 inches high. In those instances where the intersection of adjacent property lines precludes the posting of a building number at the entrance to a building owner's driveway, the building owner shall post the number at the side of his/her driveway, as close to the entrance as property rights permit.
- CONDOMINIUM COMPLEX NUMBERING
- Shall be handled in a similar fashion to private roads. In this case, a sign at least two feet off the ground shall be placed at the entrance to the condominium complex, displaying in numbers at least 21/2 inches high the highest and lowest of the condominium units in said complex. Other required numbering of individual condominium units shall be done in accordance with the definition of "building unit number" of this chapter.
- SHARED-DRIVEWAY NUMBERING
- Those building unit numbers which apply to all building units, located on or accessed by a shared driveway/accessway or unnamed/unidentified private road. In such cases, at the building owners' expense, a sign at least two feet off the ground shall be placed at the driveway entrance, containing numbers at least 21/2 inches high of the lowest and highest building units on said shared driveway or private road. In addition, individual building number signposts shall be placed at the intersections of the common driveway and individual building driveways, indicating the location and identity of each building. Other required numbering of individual building units shall be done in accordance with the definition of "building unit number" of this chapter.
Requirements. It shall be the duty of the owner of any given building unit to ascertain the proper building unit number from the Town of New Canaan (Department of Public Works) and to display same as indicated and defined in § 8-2 above.
It shall be the responsibility of the Chief of Police, or his departmental designee, to enforce the provisions of this section through the issuance of citations. The Fire Marshal, or his departmental designee, also has the authority to issue citations.
Any person, firm or corporation who violates the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to a fine for each violation that is in accord with the schedule of fines established by the Board of Selectmen. Each building unit without number(s), and each day without number(s), following a grace period of 14 days from the day on which the building owner shall have been informed of the violation by registered/certified mail, shall be considered a separate violation.
Any person seeking to contest a citation may request a hearing, pursuant to Chapter 11, Citation Hearing Procedure.