[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Mantua 6-23-1981 (Ch. 214 of the 1978 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
In applying and interpreting this chapter, the following definitions shall be used:
- DESIGNATION OF HANDICAPPED PARKING SPACES
- Spaces identified with a clearly visible sign displaying the international symbol of the handicapped or with the words "Handicapped Parking Only," or both, together with a designation of the penalty for violation.
- HANDICAPPED PERSON
- Includes any person with any physical impairment which causes that person to walk with difficulty or insecurity.
- HANDICAPPED-PERSON SLIP
- A form issued by the Mantua Township Police Department or K-Mart Shopping Center or a merchant therein stating that the holder of such handicapped-person slip is a handicapped person within the meaning of this chapter and which complies with the required format.
- K-MART SHOPPING CENTER
- That area bounded on the north by Berkley Road and on the east by Route 45 and referred to on the Tax Map of the Township of Mantua as Block No. 61, Lot 2A.
- SPECIAL LICENSE PLATES, CARDS AND OTHER INSIGNIA
- License plates and special vehicle identification cards issued by the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles of the State of New Jersey pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:4-205 and 39:4-206.
No person shall park, stop or leave standing a motor vehicle at any time in any area designated for parking only by physically handicapped individuals unless such person is a handicapped person or is transporting such handicapped person to the K-Mart Shopping Center for the handicapped person's benefit.
Any vehicle parked, stopped or left standing in such restricted areas, unless such vehicle displays a special license plate, card, insignia or handicapped-person slip designating the owner to be a handicapped person, shall be cited for a violation by Mantua Township Police or any special officer appointed for that purpose by the Chief of Police by issuance of a notice of violation.
In the event that the motorist fails to give a satisfactory explanation for the violation, the officer or designated person shall cause a summons to be issued for the violation of this chapter.
The terms and provisions of this chapter shall be enforced by the Mantua Township Police Department.
Enforcement of this chapter shall be in the Mantua Township Municipal Court.
Each owner, tenant, operator or person or entity having control of premises on which are located parking spaces reserved for handicapped persons shall keep and maintain such parking stalls and the access thereto free and clear of snow, ice and other obstructions at all times.
No owner, tenant, operator or person having control of premises on which are located parking spaces reserved for handicapped persons or any contractor or other person shall block access to such handicap parking stalls by plowing, placing or leaving any snow, ice or other obstruction in or adjoining such stall in a manner which blocks access thereto.
Any person or entity who or which violates this section shall remove such snow, ice or obstruction immediately upon notice being given by any person. In the event that the Township removes the snow, ice or obstruction, then the owner, tenant, operator or person having control of the property may be billed by the Township, at its discretion, for the cost of such removal. Upon said party's failure to pay within 30 days from the date of the bill, the amount of the unpaid bill may be placed by the Township as a lien against the property as if it were due for unpaid taxes. This shall not preclude any additional fines and penalties may be assessed below.
[Amended 2-9-1993; 3-28-1995; 4-27-2004 by Ord. No. O-6-2004]
Any person parking a motor vehicle in a restricted parking space without a special vehicle identification card shall be a liable to a fine of $250 for the first offense and, for subsequent offenses, a fine of at least $250 and up to 90 days' community service on such terms and in such form as the court shall deem appropriate, or any combination thereof.