Unless otherwise expressly stated, the following words and phrases shall be construed throughout this ordinance to have the meanings herein indicated. The singular shall include the plural, and the plural shall include the singular. The word "used" shall include the words "arranged," "designed" or "intended to be used." The word "building" shall include the word "structure." The present tense shall include the future tense.
- ACCESSORY BUILDING
- A building subordinate to the main building on a lot and use for purposes customarily incidental to those of the main building.
- ACCESSORY USE
- A use subordinate to the main use of land or of a building on a lot and customarily incidental thereto.
- BUILDING AREA
- The aggregate of the maximum horizontal cross-section areas, excluding cornices, eaves and gutters, of all buildings on a lot.
- BUILDING LINE
- The line parallel to the street line at a distance therefrom equal to the depth of the required front yard.
- ELECTRIC SUBSTATION
- An assemblage of equipment for purposes other than generation or utilization, through which electric energy in bulk is passed for the purposes of switching or modifying its characteristics to meet the needs of the general public, provided that in residence districts an electric substation shall not include rotating equipment, except as is incidental to the operation of the substation as such, storage of materials, trucks or repair facilities, or housing of repair crews.
- Any number of persons living and cooking together as a single housekeeping unit.
- HEIGHT OF BUILDING
- A building's vertical measurement from the mean level of the ground abutting the building to a point midway between the highest and lowest points of the roof ; provided that chimneys, spires, towers, elevator penthouses, tanks and similar projections of the building, and structures supporting utility or transmission facilities, shall not be included in calculating the height.
- A parcel of land on which a main building and any accessory buildings are or may be placed, together with the required open spaces. The area of a lot which abuts a street shall be measured to the street line only.
- NONCONFORMING BUILDING or USE
- A building or a use of land or of a building existing at the effective date of this ordinance which does not conform with the requirements of this ordinance.
- PARKING SPACE
- An open space or a garage, on a lot, used for parking motor vehicles, the area of which is not less than 200 square feet and to which there is access from a street.
- PRIVATE GARAGE
- An accessory building used for the storage of any number of private noncommercial motor vehicles, owned and used by the owner or tenant of the premises, and for the storage of not more than two private noncommercial vehicles owned and used by persons other than the owner or tenant of the premises. Not more than one commercial vehicle may be stored in a private garage.
- PUBLIC GARAGE
- A building, not a private garage, used primarily for the storage and/or repair of motor vehicles of any type of ownership.
- SINGLE AND SEPARATE OWNERSHIP
- The ownership of a lot by one or more persons, partnerships or corporations, which ownership is separate and distinct from that of any adjoining lot.
- A public street, road or way which has been dedicated to public use, or a private street, road or way which has been approved by Borough Council.
- STREET LINE
- The dividing line between a lot and the outside boundary of a public street, road or highway legally open or officially plotted by the Borough, or between a lot and a private street, road or way over which the owners or tenants of two or more lots held in single and separate ownership have the right of way.
- STRUCTURAL ALTERATION
- Any change in or addition to the supporting members of a building or structure, such as bearing wall partitions, columns, beams or girders.
- TELEPHONE CENTRAL OFFICE
- A building and its equipment erected and used for the purposes of facilitating transmission and exchange of telephone or radio-telephone messages between subscribers, and other business of the telephone company; but in residence districts not to include public business facilities, storage of materials, trucking or repair facilities, or housing of repair crews.
- TRAILER CAMP
- A lot or premises used for occupancy by two or more trailers or any other vehicles used for living or sleeping purposes.
Borough Council reserves the right to amend, change, modify, or repeal any regulations, limitations and restrictions of this ordinance, including the Zoning Map. No such amendment, change, modification or repeal shall be adopted until after a public hearing is held thereon by the Borough Council at which parties in interest and citizens shall have an opportunity to be heard.
No amendment or change shall become effective unless the ordinance proposing such amendment or change shall first have been submitted to the Planning Board for approval, disapproval or suggestions, and the Planning Board shall have a reasonable time, not less than 30 days, for consideration and report. In the case of an unfavorable report by the Planning Board, such amendment or change shall not become effective except by a favorable vote of 2/3 of the Borough Council.
In case of a protest against such proposed change signed by the owners of 20% or more either of the area of the lots or land included in such proposed change, or of the lots or land on either side thereof or directly opposite thereto extending 100 feet therefrom (exclusive of street space), such change shall not become effective except by the favorable vote of 2/3 of all the members of the Borough Council.
In case any building or structure is erected, constructed, altered, repaired, converted or maintained, or any building or structure is used in violation of this ordinance or any regulations made pursuant thereto, the proper Borough authorities, in addition to other remedies, may institute any appropriate action or proceedings to prevent such unlawful erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, conversion, maintenance or use, to restrain, correct or abate such violation, to prevent the occupancy of said building, structure or land, or to prevent any illegal act, conduct, business or use in or about such premises.
[Amended 2-20-2001 by Ord. No. 05.01]
Any person that shall violate this ordinance or do any act or thing prohibited or refuse or fail to do any act or thing required to be done or refuse or fail to comply with an order of the Zoning Administrative Officer or an order of the Planning Board shall, upon conviction thereof before any judicial officer authorized to hear and determine the matter, forfeit and pay such fine not exceeding the sum of $200 as shall be imposed by such judicial officer in his discretion or, if the party so convicted shall be a natural person, be imprisoned for such term not exceeding 90 days as such judicial officer, in his discretion, shall determine; provided, however, that if the party so convicted shall be a natural person, such judicial officer shall have the power, in his discretion, to impose a sentence of both fine and imprisonment not exceeding the maximum limits hereinbefore fixed. Whenever such person shall have been officially notified by the Zoning Administrative Officer or by service of a summons in a prosecution or in any other official manner that he is committing a violation, each day's continuance of such violation after such notification shall constitute a separate offense punishable by a like fine or penalty.
If any section, paragraph, subsection, clause or provisions of this ordinance shall be declared by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, such decision shall not affect the validity of this ordinance as a whole or any other part thereof.
All ordinances and parts of ordinances of the Borough of Paulsboro heretofore adopted and that are inconsistent with any of the terms and provisions of this ordinance are hereby repealed to the extent of such inconsistency.
This ordinance shall become effective upon its final passage and adoption and publication in the manner prescribed by law.