[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Mount Laurel as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I Emergency Medical Services Reimbursement Program
[Adopted 5-19-2008 by Ord. No. 2008-14]
The Township of Mount Laurel provides emergency medical services through the Mount Laurel EMS (a department of the Township of Mount Laurel) to citizens and visitors of the Township of Mount Laurel on a twenty-four-hour basis throughout the year to the extent that such resources are available.
All persons needing Mount Laurel EMS services within the Township of Mount Laurel shall be serviced, to the extent that such services are available, without discrimination on any basis, and without respect to residency, ability to pay, or any other factor. No person located within Mount Laurel Township at the time emergency medical services are needed shall be denied available service, when such services are available. There shall be no delay in providing available service due to EMS billing.
Mount Laurel Township and a professional medical billing service (retained by Mount Laurel Township for purposes of seeking payment for the provision of EMS services) shall maintain accurate records of all Mount Laurel EMS requests for service, service calls, and services approved by the Mount Laurel EMS. Said records shall include pertinent information about the general nature of the call and shall identify the complete name, mailing address, place of domicile, location and telephone numbers of all persons requesting and receiving Mount Laurel EMS services, as well as all pertinent and available insurance information.
[Amended 6-1-2009 by Ord. No. 2009-9]
The Township of Mount Laurel shall contract with a professional medical billing service for the collection of payment for services rendered by the Mount Laurel EMS services. Said bill shall be issued to the insurance company for the person served, if any, or directly to the person served if insurance coverage is not available. Fees to be charged for Mount Laurel EMS services shall be as follows:
Persons receiving a bill for Mount Laurel EMS services shall: make payment to Mount Laurel Township professional medical billing service within 30 days; or provide proof that they have submitted a claim to their insurance carrier for payment within 30 days of receipt of request of a bill. These provisions shall be subject to the following:
Persons receiving Mount Laurel EMS service who have health insurance to cover ambulance and emergency medical services are expected to cooperate with Mount Laurel Township's professional medical billing service to secure full payment for services rendered.
In the event the health insurance company of a taxpayer or domiciled resident does not pay the bill in full, the Township of Mount Laurel will accept such partial payment to the extent on the insured's policy limits, including deductible and coinsurance requirements, as payment in full.
In the event a taxpayer or domiciled resident of the Township of Mount Laurel does not have health insurance, payment shall not be required.
Due to the time requirements for the preparation and processing of insurance claims, interest shall not be charged on Mount Laurel EMS billings.
After providing emergency medical services, the Mount Laurel EMS shall transmit all pertinent billing information to Mount Laurel Township's professional medical billing service for collection as set forth in Subsection F below. The professional medical billing service shall be responsible for receipt of payment and proper recordkeeping of its collections as provided in its contract with the Township of Mount Laurel. Payments received by the professional medical billing service shall, thereafter, be transmitted electronically to a designated account of the Township of Mount Laurel to be administered by the Mount Laurel Township Chief Financial Officer (CFO). In addition, the professional medical billing service shall simultaneously transmit a transport report to the Mount Laurel EMS for its review and approval and transport a copy to the Township CFO. The Mount Laurel EMS shall prepare a reconciliation report and shall monitor the operations of the professional medical billing service, including billing activities and receipt of funds.
The professional medical billing service shall be responsible for the initial billing and two follow-up billings. Costs associated with the professional medical billing service shall be based solely on a percent of reimbursement collections as provided in its contract with the Township of Mount Laurel. After three attempts to collect said claim, the professional medical billing service shall notify the Township of Mount Laurel and relinquish rights to that billing, unless otherwise directed by the Township Manager. The Township of Mount Laurel shall turn said delinquent accounts over to a collection agency that will be compensated on a percent of cash collections of the delinquent accounts. The Township of Mount Laurel reserves the right to determine that a bill is uncollectible and should be written off.
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- A. Any individual who is the spouse or an unemancipated child (natural, adopted or stepchild) of a taxpayer or domiciled resident as defined below;
- B. Any unemancipated child for whom the taxpayer or year-round resident has been appointed legal guardian;
- C. Any individual who resides in a permanent domicile of the taxpayer or domiciled resident and is claimed as a dependent for federal income tax purposes; or
- D. Any individual who resides in the permanent domicile of the taxpayer or domiciled resident, and who is deemed to be a dependent under the health insurance policy of the taxpayer or domiciled resident.
- DOMICILED RESIDENT
- Any individual whose legal domicile is within the Township of Mount Laurel. Verification of domicile shall be based on voter registration, a State of New Jersey driver's license, proof of filing a State of New Jersey income tax return from a Mount Laurel Township address or other proofs accepted under federal guidelines.
- Any individual listed on the deed of ownership of any property located within the municipal boundaries of the Township of Mount Laurel and their dependents as defined above. In the case of a corporation or partnership, only those individuals retaining a twenty-five-percent or greater ownership shall be considered a taxpayer. For the purpose of determining a twenty-five-percent or greater ownership, adult married or civil union partners may combine their ownership. Dependent, as defined above, shall be considered a taxpayer.