[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Mount Laurel as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 5-6-2019 by Ord. No. 2019-22]
The Township finds that:
Numerous studies have found that tobacco smoke is a major contributor to outdoor pollution and breathing secondhand smoke is a cause of disease in healthy nonsmokers.
Secondhand smoke is particularly hazardous to children, the elderly, individuals with cardiovascular disease and individuals with impaired respiratory function, including asthmatics and those with obstructed airway disease.
The smoking of tobacco products is also a form of air pollution, a danger to health and a material public nuisance.
As a result, the Council adopts this article to protect the public health and welfare by prohibiting smoking in certain public places, which are more specifically defined below, to guarantee the right of nonsmokers to breathe smoke-free air and to recognize the public's need to breathe smoke-free air as a priority over an individual's desire to smoke.
As used in this article, the following words shall have the following meanings:
- ENCLOSED AREA
- All areas between the floor and a ceiling, extending to the outer perimeter walls of the structure.
- MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS AND GROUNDS
- Includes all structures and property owned, leased, rented and/or operated by Mount Laurel Township, and/or occupied by employees and used for official business of Mount Laurel Township. The definition shall specifically include, but shall not be limited to, the municipal building, Community Center, Police Station and Municipal Court, Public Works Building and Library on Mount Laurel Road as well as parking and grass areas which surround said buildings.
- PUBLIC PARK
- Any property owned or maintained by the Township of Mount Laurel for active or passive recreation, including, but not limited to, playgrounds, sports fields, spectator areas and adjacent parking facilities.
- The burning of, inhaling from, exhaling the smoke from, or the possession of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other matter or substance which contains tobacco or any other matter that can be smoked, or the inhaling or exhaling of smoke or vapor from an electronic smoking device or similar device. If legalized by the State of New Jersey, the term shall also mean the inhaling or exhaling of any cannabis product.
Smoking shall be prohibited in all municipal buildings and grounds and public parks as defined herein. No-smoking signs or the international no-smoking symbol shall be clearly, sufficiently and conspicuously posted at each municipal building entrance and within each outdoor area where smoking is prohibited by this section. The sign shall also indicate that violators are subject to a fine.
Smoking shall be prohibited on municipal grounds up to the property lines and shall not be reduced even during inclement weather.
Smoking shall be prohibited in any municipal vehicle registered to the Township.
Smoking and the use of other tobacco products shall not be permitted in any enclosed area of the municipal buildings and grounds in Mount Laurel Township.
This article shall be enforced by the Mount Laurel Police Department and Code Enforcement Officer.
Any person found guilty of a violation of this article by a court of competent jurisdiction may be subject to a fine of not less than $250 and not more than $1,000 and/or subject to up to 30 days' community service and/or up to 30 days' incarceration in a county jail.