[Ord. No. 4305 §§1 — 2, 6-20-2016]
The purpose of this Chapter is to encourage alarm users and fire alarm contractors to properly install, use and maintain fire alarm systems in order to improve the reliability of such systems and thereby reduce or eliminate nuisance alarms.
This Chapter governs the use of fire alarm systems intended to summon the Berkeley Fire Department; requires registration of such systems; allows for the assessment of service fees: and provides for civil penalties with the Municipal Court.
Editor's Note: Section 8 of this ordinance provided an effective date of 9-1-2016.
[Ord. No. 4305 §3, 6-20-2016]
As used in this Chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ADOPTED CODE(S)
- The most recent adopted International Fire Code as amended by the City of Berkeley, Missouri, as found in Chapter 500 of the Municipal Code.
- ANNUAL INSPECTION
- Once a year Berkeley Fire Department performs commercial fire inspections to assess and mitigate potential fire and life safety hazards in buildings. They also require property owners/managers to provide current reports (e.g., sprinkler system test report, fire alarm test report, safety inspections, hood system reports, elevator reports, generator reports, oven reports, etc.) by a licensed fire system contractor. These inspections vary in type and frequency depending on type of business.
- ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL
- The Berkeley Fire Chief or designated representative.
- Fee for annual commercial fire inspection service. There are various charges considered in fees for service. These fees are outlined in §270.030, Fee Schedule, below.
- FIRE ALARM CONTRACTOR
- Any individual, partnership, corporation or other entity appropriately licensed as a fire alarm contractor by the State of Missouri, Saint Louis County Electrical Administrative Board.
- FIRE ALARM SYSTEM
- Any device or equipment designed to signal visibly, audibly, electronically, mechanically or by any combination of these methods the presence of a heat, smoke or fire hazard to which the Department is trained to respond. The term "fire alarm system" does not include any alarm designed to alert only the inhabitants of a premises.
- Any building, structure or combination of building and structures in which a fire alarm system is installed.
- SEMI-ANNUAL INSPECTION
- Same as annual inspections but these inspections are performed twice a year on commercial buildings that are considered high-hazard occupancies.
[Ord. No. 4305 §4, 6-20-2016]
The following fee schedule relating to life safety plan review fees, inspection, and testing of fire safety and fire-extinguishing apparatus, and annual fire inspection is hereby adopted and enacted within the City.
Life safety plan review fee shall be levied on all new construction, alterations and similar type work requiring a permit, except one- and two-family detached residential dwelling units in the City. In case when square footage is not applicable, the minimum fee shall apply.
Inspection and testing of fire safety and fire- extinguishing apparatus; testing fees for new building, additions, alterations, and repairs, modifications of occupancy, and presale inspection and annual tests.
[Ord. No. 4305 §5, 6-20-2016]
A violation of this Chapter shall be a civil infraction. Any person failing to maintain fire alarm systems consistent with this Section shall be subject to the penalty provided for violating the Municipal Code. It shall be the duty of the Enforcement Official or his/her designee to make complaint before the Municipal Judge against all persons who fail to maintain the fire alarm system that is associated with the premises or fail to pay service fees as required by this Chapter. It shall be the duty of the Municipal Judge to summon such owner or occupant of the premises before him/her to answer such complaint of a violation of this Chapter, and the Municipal Judge, upon such complaint, shall have jurisdiction of the case and proceed in all respects as in other cases of violation of City ordinance. Any person who shall violate provisions of this Section or who shall fail to comply with any of the requirements thereof shall be fined in accordance to Section 100.070.
[Ord. No. 4305 §6, 6-20-2016]
The City Fire Chief or designee shall provide notice to each Berkeley business a written notice, stating that an annual fire inspection is required, fee amount, and date fee is due, before the inspection will occur.