[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Hanover 6-13-2019 by Ord. No. 20-19. Amendments noted where applicable.]
For the purposes of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section:
- ADVERTISE or ADVERTISING
- Any form of solicitation, promotion, and communication for marketing, used to solicit, encourage, persuade, or manipulate viewers, readers, or listeners to purchase, agree to purchase or otherwise obtain goods and/or services, as same may be viewed through various media including, but not limited to, newspapers, magazines, flyers, handbills, pamphlets, commercials, radio, direct mail, internet websites, or text or other electronic messages for the purpose of establishing occupancies or uses of rental property, for consideration, which are prohibited by this chapter.
- Any building or portion thereof which is occupied or is intended to be occupied as a residence or sleeping place of one or more individuals, families or households. This shall not be construed to include hotels, motels and other transient lodging accommodation which are licensed and legally operating within the definition of "dwelling."
- HOUSEKEEPING UNIT
- Constitutes a family-type situation, involving one or more persons, living together that exhibit the kind of stability, permanency and functional lifestyle equivalent to that of a traditional family unit, as further described in the applicable decisions of the New Jersey Appellate Court and Supreme Court.
- The inhabitation, use, living, gathering, entertaining, being entertained as a guest, or sleeping in a dwelling or a portion thereof, or having other permission or possessory rights or interest in the dwelling.
- Any person(s) or entity(ies), association, limited-liability company, corporation, or partnership, or any combination, who legally use, possess, own, lease, sublease or license (including an operator, principal, shareholder, director, agent, or employee, individually or collectively) that has charge, care, control, or participates in the expenses and/or profit of a dwelling unit pursuant to a written or unwritten agreement, rental, lease, license, use, occupancy agreement or any other agreement.
It shall be unlawful for any person, including but not limited to an owner, lessor, or sublessor with any possessory interest in any dwelling, to receive compensation of any kind for the use, occupancy, or rental of any dwelling or portion thereof for a period of 30 days or less, unless specifically permitted otherwise by applicable law.
The residential occupancy of an otherwise lawful and lawfully occupied dwelling for a period of 30 days or less by a person who is a member of the housekeeping unit of the owner, without compensation or other consideration, such as house guests, is permitted.
No person shall undertake, maintain, authorize, aid, facilitate, solicit and/or advertise any rental activity that violates any part or provisions of this chapter.
Any person occupying a rental dwelling unit shall be responsible in complying with all ordinances and regulations of the Township of Hanover as set forth in the Code of the Township. Any violations of law may subject persons to the issuance of notices of violation, summonses and fines as prescribed in the Code.
The provisions of this chapter shall be enforced by the Township's Construction Official/Zoning Officer, the Property Maintenance Officer and/or the Police Department, who shall be authorized to issue summons or other appropriate civil violations or complaints for any violations of the terms and provisions of this chapter.
Any person who is found or adjudicated to have violated any provisions of this chapter may be liable for a fine up to the maximum fine permitted by law pursuant to N.J.S.A. 40:49-5 et seq. Each day of any such violation after receiving written notice of same shall be a new and separate violation.