[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Orchard Park 4-1-1992. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The Town Clerk is designated as Records Management Officer and shall be responsible for the records management program established by this chapter and subsequent amendments thereto. Said officer will be responsible for administering the noncurrent and archival public records and storage area for the Town of Orchard Park in accordance with local, state and federal laws and guidelines. Said officer shall also be responsible for overseeing microfilming of town records according to recognized standards and specifications.
The Town Clerk or designee of the Town Clerk shall have all the necessary powers to carry out the efficient administration, determination of value, use, preservation, storage and disposition of the noncurrent and archival public records kept, filed or received by the offices and departments of the Town of Orchard Park.
The Records Management Officer shall:
Continually survey and examine public records to recommend their classification so as to determine the most suitable methods to be used for the maintaining, storing and servicing of archival material:
Obsolete and unnecessary records according to New York State Records Retention and Disposition Schedules thereby subject to disposition;
Information containing administrative, legal, fiscal, research, historical or educational value which warrant their permanent retention; or
Records not subject to disposition according to state law.
Establish guidelines for proper records management in any department or agency of town government in accordance with local, state and federal laws and guidelines.
Keep the Town Board informed on the powers and duties herein mentioned, including but not limited to the cost/benefit ratio of programs implemented by the Town Clerk or designee.
The Town Clerk shall have at his/her disposal a storage room at the Orchard Park Municipal Center dedicated specifically for the storage, processing and servicing of all noncurrent and archival records for all town departments and agencies. The storage room shall be called the Orchard Park Records Center. The Town Clerk or designee shall operate the Orchard Park Records Center.
The Town Clerk or designee of the Town Clerk shall be the sole official designated in the public officer's certification for using Records Retention and Disposition Schedules or its successor and shall be the sole officer with authority over the disposition of town records, after receiving approval of the respective town officer or department head who has custody of the records of his/her respective office or department.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Those official records which have been determined by the Records Management Officer to have sufficient historical or other value to warrant their continued preservation by the town.
- Any documents, books, papers, photographs, sound recordings, microforms or any other materials, regardless of physical form or characteristics made or received pursuant to law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official town business.
- RECORDS CENTER
- An establishment maintained by the Town of Orchard Park primarily for the storage, servicing, security and processing of records which must be preserved for varying periods of time and need not be retained in office equipment or space.
- A. The removal by the town, in accordance with approved records control schedules, of records no longer necessary for the conduct of business by such agency through removal methods which may include:
- B. The transfer of records from one town agency to any other town agency.
- RECORDS MANAGEMENT
- The planning, controlling, directing, organizing, training, promotion and other managerial activities involved in records creation, records maintenance and use and records disposition, including records preservation, records disposal and records centers or other storage facilities.
- Making information in records available to any town agency for official use or to the public.