Town of Newington, CT
Hartford County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[Adopted 1-24-1978; amended 11-27-1990 (§ 2-73 of the 1974 Code)]
There is hereby established a Youth-Adult Council which shall constitute an advisory board pursuant to the regulations of the State of Connecticut Department of Children and Youth Services. The Youth-Adult Council shall provide policy advice on the formulation, development and alteration of youth-serving programs of the Youth Services Bureau within the Human Services Department, foster cooperation and coordination among public and private youth-serving agencies, promote voluntary service and assistance for youth programs and enhance communication between youths and adults through community education.
The Youth-Adult Council shall consist of 15 members who shall be appointed by the Mayor for terms of two years, provided, of those first appointed, eight shall serve for a period of one year. Annually thereafter, members shall be appointed to succeed those whose terms expire.
All such members shall be representatives of public agencies with statutory responsibilities for youth and family and/or private sector organizations representing community social institutions, but not less than 10 such members shall be residents of the Town of Newington, provided each of the following shall be represented by at least one member:
The Newington Police Department, to be recommended by the Chief of Police;
The Newington School Department, to be recommended by the Superintendent of Schools;
A private human-serving agency, to be recommended by such agency, and provided further that at least five members shall be service consumers as defined by the regulations of the State of Connecticut Department of Children and Youth Services and at least two shall be less than 21 years of age.
No more than a bare majority of the members of such Council shall be from any one political party.
The Town Council, Board of Education, and Parks and Recreation Department shall each appoint a liaison to provide communication about relevant issues between the Youth-Adult Council and their respective organizations.