[Adopted 2-12-2008 by Ord. No. 1751-08]
An article to establish requirements for the proper disposal of pet solid waste in the City of Passaic so as to protect the public health, safety and welfare and to prescribe penalties for failure to comply.
For the purpose of this article, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this article clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
- The pet solid waste is removed at once, without delay.
- Any person who shall possess, maintain, house or harbor any pet or otherwise have custody of any pet, whether or not the owner of such pet.
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or political subdivision of this state subject to municipal jurisdiction.
- A domesticated animal (other than a disability assistance animal) kept for amusement or companionship.
- PET SOLID WASTE
- Waste matter expelled from the bowels of the pet; excrement.
- PROPER DISPOSAL
- Placement in a designated waste receptacle, or other suitable container, and discarded in a refuse container which is regularly emptied by the municipality or some other refuse collector; or disposal into a system designed to convey domestic sewage for proper treatment and disposal.
[Amended 5-11-2010 by Ord. No. 1833-10]
All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pets' solid waste deposited on any property, public or private, which is not owned or possessed by that person.
All pet owners and keepers shall properly dispose of their pets' waste deposited on their own property immediately upon placement of the waste by the pet.
Any owner or keeper who requires the use of a disability assistance animal shall be exempt from the provisions of this article while such animal is being used for that purpose.
The provisions of this article shall be enforced by the Police Department, Health Department or Department of Public Works of the City of Passaic.
Any person(s) who is found to be in violation of the provisions of this article shall be subject to the penalties set forth in the general penalty provisions, § 1-3 of the Code of the City of Passaic.