[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Independence 5-13-1985 by Ord. No. 85-4 (Ch. 131 of the 1984 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context, the following words shall have the following meanings:
- Any building or structure heretofore or hereafter constructed and designed or used for dwelling purposes or occupancy by persons, whether temporary or permanent, or in which sewage is created or discharged.
- CONNECTION DATE
- When used with respect to a building constructed prior to the date of initial operation of a sewer available to serve said building which is owned or operated by the Hackettstown Municipal Utility Authority or by the Township of Independence Municipal Utilities Authority, shall mean the 180th day next ensuing after the sewer line is available to serve said building. Any building built after the date when a sewer line is available to serve said building shall connect to such sewer line at the time such construction is completed and prior to occupancy.
- SEWAGE or SANITARY SEWAGE
- Water-carried wastes created in and carried or to be carried away from residences, hotels, apartments, schools, hospitals, industrial establishments or any other public or private building, together with such surface or ground water and industrial wastes as may be present.
- Any sewer or main designed or used for collection or disposal of sewage within the Township.
The owner of any building located within 250 feet of any sewer now or hereafter constructed and owned or operated by the Hackettstown Municipal Utility Authority or by the Township of Independence Municipal Utilities Authority in the Township of Independence shall connect each such building to said sewer on or before and not later than the connection date with respect to said building upon order of the Board of Health of Warren County. The distance shall be measured in a horizontal straight line from a point directly above the designated sewer connection, as that point has been determined by the engineer for the Hackettstown Municipal Utility Authority or the Township of Independence Municipal Utilities Authority or the Engineer for the Township, to the nearest portion or part of the building.
Ever connection required by this chapter shall comply in all respects with the Uniform Construction Code or such other code as shall be in force and effect at the time connection is required.
Upon receipt by the Board of notification from said Township of Independence Municipal Utilities Authority or from the Township that any sewer is available to serve buildings on any properties in the Township, the Board of Health shall order each owner of a building within 250 feet from the line of said sewer to connect each building on such property with said sewer in accordance with the terms of this chapter.
The Board of Health shall designate one of its proper officers to give notice to the owner of property with respect to which an order is issued pursuant to § 320-4. Such notice shall be addressed to the owner of said property as the name of said owner appears in the last tax duplicate of the Township of Independence and shall describe the property by lot and block designation, as the same appears in the Tax Map of the Township of Independence, and by the street address if a street address exists. The notice shall state that, by order of the Board of Health, the owner is required to connect each building on said property with a sewer in accordance with the terms of this chapter on or before the connection date with respect to such building or, if such connection date shall have passed, within 30 days after service of such notice as hereinafter provided, and said notice shall also describe the penalty which may be imposed hereunder for failure to comply with said notice and order in accordance with the terms of this chapter. Said notice may also be served within or without the limits of the Township of Independence by mailing the same by certified mail to the last known post office address of said owner as the same appears on the last tax duplicate of the Township of Independence. Said notice may be served on the owner personally or by leaving it at his usual place of abode with a member of his family above the age of 18 years.
Within 30 days after any building is connected with a sewer in accordance with this chapter, the owner of any building so connected, which building was previously serviced by a wooden or metal septic tank, cesspool or seepage pit, shall provide filling of said abandoned facility and the covering of same with concrete cover in the manner approved by the Board of Health.
In the event that any person or corporation shall not have connected the building or buildings on his or its property to an available sewer line after the connection date and after the thirty-day notice sent to such person or corporation under § 320-5 of this chapter, such person or corporation shall, upon conviction thereof, be fined $50. An additional fine of $10 shall be imposed for each day of delay after the expiration of the 30 days in which the provisions of the order or notice are not complied with. Penalties under this chapter shall be enforced by the Municipal Court of the Township of Independence.
In addition to the penalties set forth in Subsection A hereinabove, the Township or the Board of Health may proceed to make such installation or correction or cause same to be made and assess the cost thereof as a lien against such property pursuant to N.J.S.A. 40A:26A-1 et seq.