Town of Westminster, MA
Worcester County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Special Town Meeting 11-12-1974 by Art. 2 as Art. VIII of the 1975 Bylaws. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Alarm systems — See Ch. 67.
Gas, plumbing and wiring — See Ch. 113.
Permits to delinquent taxpayers — See Ch. 131, Art. I.
Low-impact development — See Ch. 136.
Rapid entry systems — See Ch. 148.
Streets and sidewalks — See Ch. 173.
Zoning — See Ch. 205.
Subdivision of land — See Ch. 231.
No building construction, moving or material alteration costing more than $500 shall be made to any building or structure without a permit from the Board of Selectmen or Building Inspector. No such permit shall be issued until the Board of Health shall have certified, in writing, that all health regulations have been fully complied with and the Planning Board shall have likewise certified that it conforms to any pertinent provisions of the Subdivision Rules and Regulations.[1] Notice of all building permits granted by the Board of Selectmen or Building Inspector shall be promptly transmitted to the Board of Assessors.
Editor's Note: See Ch. 231, Subdivision of Land.
The applicant shall submit plans and specifications of such work or buildings for examination and approval. A plan of the lot on which any proposed building is to be erected, listing the abutters' names, is to be filed with the application. The location of the structure is to be drawn on the lot. All drawings are to be submitted in duplicate, and one copy is to remain on file, the other copy to be stamped with the Selectmen's or Building Inspector's seal of approval. If the Selectmen or Building Inspector are of the opinion that the requirements of this chapter have been complied with, they shall thereupon issue said stamped permits to the applicants.
The permit signed by the Board of Selectmen or Building Inspector and the Board of Assessors shall be posted in public view.
No basement of a building under construction shall be occupied for residential purposes for a period of more than two years without approval of the Board of Health.
Permits will not be granted for the construction or alteration of any structure that will cause a change in existing grades and contours which interfere with drainage of water to or from the public highways unless provision is made at the owner's expense for the proper disposal of such water by gutters, ditches, pipes or other necessary drainage structures. The owner will be required to grant the town any necessary drainage easements.
No person may build or construct any connection between any private driveway in the Town of Westminster and any public town road in the Town of Westminster without first obtaining a permit from the Board of Selectmen or Building Inspector.
Prior to final construction of a driveway, a sketch must be submitted on the reverse side of application entitled "Construction of Driveway Permit Required," showing lot lines, any inlets or culverts and the exact location of the proposed driveway. The sketch must show the approximate width of the driveway after grading and/or surfacing.
The Highway Department is concerned with width and flare of driveways where they meet the road, since the road surface is not to be disturbed and the gutter line maintained.
The application shall be submitted to the Highway Superintendent and, on his approval, a permit shall be issued by the Board of Selectmen or Building Inspector.
Editor’s Note: Former § 81-6, Filling of land, was repealed STM 11-19-2013 by Art. 14.
[Amended ATM 5-1-2010 by Art. 33]
Camping trailers, utility trailers, horse trailers, boats or pickup campers used by the resident for his own use may be stored on a residential lot. No such trailers, campers or boats may be used for a dwelling on a residential lot. The Selectmen may issue, consistent with the Zoning Bylaw,[1] temporary permits for residential uses of a camper or trailer, if the user is in the process of building a house.
Editor's Note: See Ch. 205, Zoning.
It shall be the responsibility of the Board of Assessors to assign a street number to each building permit before it is issued.
Street numbers shall be attached to each dwelling, business, industry and other building in the Town of Westminster.
[Added STM 9-14-1987 by Art. 10]
The number shall be made of permanent, weatherproof materials, at least three inches in height, in a contrasting color and clearly visible from the street or roadway upon which the structure fronts.
Any structure that is not visible from the street or roadway shall have the assigned number posted on a suitable support at the entrance to the driveway that services such structure.
The numbers posted shall be those assigned to each structure by the Board of Assessors and filed in the office of the Town Clerk. Said Board shall advise the owners of property of the assigned or reassigned number, in writing, at the property's tax address.
It shall be the responsibility of each property owner in the town to obtain, display and maintain the assigned street number within 90 days of passage of this chapter.
This subsection shall be enforced by either the Police Department or Fire Department. Failure to comply with this subsection shall subject property owners to a fine of not more than $20 for each offense.
[Added ATM 5-7-2011 by Art. 37]
Purpose: In order to ensure the safe handling of electricity, owners of buildings with alternative energy installations shall be responsible for providing notification of alternative electrical sources on any type of structure supplying electricity from a power company.
Label requirements: Owners of buildings with alternative energy installations shall label all disconnects and main electrical panels with an approved decal provided by the Westminster Fire Department. Alternative electrical sources shall include, but are not limited to, solar panels, wind power, backup generators and any new technology that would produce power other than power supplied by an electrical company.
Type of labels and location: Decal(s) supplied by the Westminster Fire Department shall be placed in a readily visible location on the meter socket on the outside of a building and inside on the main electrical panel door.
New installations: Labels shall be installed prior to the issuance of a certificate of completion.
Existing locations: The Westminster Fire Department shall issue decals to owners of buildings with existing alternative energy sources as these buildings become known to Fire Department personnel.