Township of Shamong, NJ
Burlington County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Shamong 7-5-2006 by Ord. No. 2006-06-02. Amendments noted where applicable.]
GENERAL REFERENCES
Officers and employees — See Ch. 35.
[Amended 6-4-2008 by Ord. No. 2008-006]
The Township of Shamong does hereby commit to assist employees of the Township by providing certain health benefits coverage after retirement as authorized by N.J.S.A. 52:14-17.38 et seq. The Township Committee recognizes and values the hard work and commitment of its employees.
[Amended 3-4-2008 by Ord. No. 2008-003; 6-4-2008 by Ord. No. 2008-006]
A. 
All full-time Township employees are entitled to receive postretirement health-care benefits upon retirement with 25 years or more in a state-sponsored pension system and with 25 years of service with the Township of Shamong.
B. 
The postretirement health-care benefits shall be provided for a period not to exceed seven years from the date of retirement.
C. 
The postretirement health-care benefits shall be provided to eligible employees at 100% and at 80% for dependents and/or a surviving spouse. The employee, the dependent and/or the surviving spouse shall be responsible for paying the remaining 20% of the cost for dependent and/or surviving spouse cost.
D. 
The employee is required to provide the Township Administrator with a written notice that he/she intends to retire at least six months prior to retirement. If proper notice is not provided six months before retirement, the employee shall only be entitled to the benefit six months from the date the written notice is received by the Township Administrator.
A. 
An employee's postretirement health-care premium reimbursement under this chapter will be suspended if the employee is eligible, or becomes eligible, for health-care benefits under any other private, state or federal health benefit plan at no cost to the employee or his or her family.
B. 
An employee's postretirement health-care premium reimbursement under this chapter may be reduced if the employee chooses to participate in health benefits provided under a spouse's health plan at an additional cost to the employee or his or her family. A qualified employee would be reimbursed any cost associated with such coverage up to the limits set forth within § 135-2 outlined above.
C. 
An eligible employee must be receiving a state pension to qualify for reimbursement.
[1]
Editor's Note: Former § 135-3, Quarterly reimbursement, was repealed 3-4-2008 by Ord. No. 2008-003, which ordinance also renumbered former §§ 135-4 and 135-5 as §§ 135-3 and 135-4, respectively.
[Added 12-4-2007 by Ord. No. 2007-013]
The postretirement health benefit conferred upon the employee pursuant to this chapter shall include the spouse of the employee, such that if the employee deceases, then the spouse of the employee shall continue to receive the benefit. The benefit shall expire if any of the qualifications are not met under § 135-4 of this chapter or if the spouse remarries. If the employee's spouse predeceases the employee, the benefit shall not extend to another spouse in the event of remarriage. This spousal benefit does not create a duplicate benefit to the employee and spouse.