[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of Harrisburg 12-22-2008 by Ord. No. 13-2008. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The City is committed to promoting justice, equality and inclusiveness in the provision of health care and other benefits to its citizens, City employees, and employees of private businesses located in the City. The City finds that it is made up of a diversity of households and that in those households relationships exist in many different forms. Those forms include committed, unmarried couples in either same or opposite sex relationships; parent and child relationships; other familial relationships; and committed friendships. The City wishes to promote the public health, safety, welfare, and prosperity of its citizens and generally improve the overall quality of life by allowing for the efficient and streamlined disposition of health care benefits or other benefits that the City or businesses located in the City might offer to their employees and dependents, including an employee's designee listed on the Life Partnership Registry. The City finds that a City-maintained list is the best way for the City and for businesses located in the City to reliably ascertain whether an employee's designee listed on the Life Partnership Registry and other dependents are eligible for such benefits. Therefore, it is the policy of the City to allow any two adults in a committed relationship who meet the Life Partnership Registry criteria to register with the City and to obtain a certificate attesting to their status.
As used in this Part 2, unless otherwise expressly stated or clearly indicated by the context, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The City of Harrisburg, a municipal corporation organized pursuant to the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and operating pursuant to the Optional Third Class City Charter Law, 53 P.S. § 41101 et seq.
- Two individuals making or who have made application with the City to become life partners.
- DECLARATION OF LIFE PARTNERSHIP or DECLARATION
- The registration of a life partner relationship on the Life Partnership Registry, pursuant to the requirements of § 4-201.3.
- A. An individual who lives within the household of a life partnership and is:
- B. The creation of a life partnership does not in itself create a legal dependency.
- HEALTH CARE FACILITY
- Every place, institution, building or agency, whether organized for profit or not, which provides medical services, nursing services, health screening services, other health-related services, and supervisory care services.
- LIFE PARTNERSHIP
- Those persons involved in a relationship as life partners.
- LIFE PARTNERSHIP REGISTRY
- The records repository maintained by the City Clerk's office, wherein persons who meet the criteria of § 4-201.3 may register their relationship.
- MUTUAL SUPPORT
- That declarants contribute to each other's maintenance and well-being and financial support.
- NOTICE OF TERMINATION
- The process by which a life partnership ends for purposes of registration, pursuant to the provisions of § 4-203.2.
- PRIMARY RESIDENCE
- The permanent home where both declarants reside and perform those tasks normally associated with one's permanent home.
Editor's Note: Amended at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1-303).
To be eligible to register a relationship of life partnership with the City of Harrisburg, the two declarants must meet all of the following criteria:
Freely declare that they are solely and mutually committed to each other;
Be persons 18 years of age or older and be unmarried according to the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, with neither being registered in another life partner relationship;
Are not related to the other declarant by blood in any way which would prohibit marriage in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania;
Be competent to contract;
Be directly dependent upon, or interdependent with, each other, sharing common financial obligations. Acceptable documentation shall include at least three of the following:
Common ownership of property or lease;
Common ownership of a vehicle;
Driving licenses listing common address;
Joint bank, investment or credit account;
Designation as a beneficiary of life insurance, retirement benefits or under the will of each other; or
Assignment of each other as agent under a durable power of attorney or health care power of attorney;
Currently reside in the City, or one of the declarants works in the City;
Agree under penalty of law to notify the City of any change in the status of the life partnership; and
Execute a declaration of life partnership attesting to the foregoing requirements and attesting that the parties are in a relationship of mutual commitment, support, and caring; are responsible for each other's physical and financial welfare; and have the present intention to remain in that relationship.