[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Supervisors of the Township of Union as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 8-17-2009 by Ord. No. 2009-04]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
- The Union Township Municipal Authority of Berks County, Pennsylvania.
- IMPROVED PROPERTY
- Any property within the Township of Union upon which there is erected a structure intended for continuous or periodic habitation, occupancy or use by human beings or for industrial use or for commercial use.
- INDUSTRIAL ESTABLISHMENT
- Any improved property located within the Township of Union and used or intended for use, wholly or in part, for the manufacturing, processing, cleaning, laundering or assembling of any product, commodity or article.
- Any pipe or conduit constituting a part of the water system used or usable for water distribution purposes.
- Any person vested with ownership, legal or equitable, sole or partial, of any improved property.
- Any individual, partnership, company, association, society, trust, corporation, municipality, municipal authority or other group or entity.
- SERVICE AREA
- The water service area shall be the geographical area covered by the Township of Union.
- The Township of Union.
- WATER SYSTEM
- All facilities, as of any particular time, for production, transmission, storage and distribution of public water in the Township of Union.
Every owner of any improved property abutting upon the water system within the service area shall connect such improved property with and shall use such water system, in such manner as the Authority may require, within 90 days after notice to such owner from the Township to make such connection, subject to such limitations and restrictions as shall be established herein or otherwise shall be established by resolutions of the Township and the Authority. No owner shall be required to connect to the water system if the principal building is located more than 150 feet from the service lateral.
The notice by the Township to make connection to a main shall consist of a copy of this article, including any amendments and/or supplements at the time in effect, or a summary thereof, and a written or printed document requiring the connection in accordance with the provisions of this article and specifying that such connection shall be made within 90 days after the date such notice is given or served. Such notice shall be given or served upon the owner by regular mail.
An owner shall not be required to connect to the water system if all following conditions are met:
The water system or part of extension of the system that is within 150 feet of the principal building was in existence on the effective date of this article.
The principal building has its own supply of water which is safe for human consumption.
Prior to September 2, 2008, the property owner was not required to connect to the existing system.
In case any owner of an improved property covered by the mandatory connection requirement set forth above shall neglect or refuse to connect with the water system as so provided for a period of 90 days after notice to do so has been served upon him, the Township, its agent or the Authority may enter upon such improved property and construct such connection, billing the cost thereof to the owner.
Connections shall be made according to the rates, rules and regulations of the Authority and only upon payment of the prescribed tapping fee. Connections shall be subject to inspection by the Authority, and meters and other water supply devices shall be subject to inspection by Authority personnel during normal business hours or at other times in the event of water supply emergencies.