[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Health of the Township of Mount Olive 6-2-1988 by Ord. No. B-2-88 (Ch. 315 of the 1990 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- COLLECTION VEHICLE
- A vehicle (usually a specially designed truck) used in collection.
- HAULAGE VEHICLE
- A vehicle used to transport solid waste between one solid waste facility and another; a transfer vehicle.
- HAZARDOUS WASTE
- Any solid waste or combination of solid wastes, including toxic, corrosive, irritating, sensitizing, radioactive, biologically infectious, explosive or flammable solid waste, which poses a present or potential threat to human health, living organisms or the environment, provided that the solid waste is hazardous in accordance with the standards and procedures set forth at N.J.A.C. 7:26-8.
- MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE
- Residential, commercial and institutional solid waste generated within a community.
- SOLID WASTE
- Any garbage, refuse, sludge or any other waste material, excluding solid animal or vegetable wastes collected by swine producers licensed by the State Department of Agriculture who collect, prepare and feed such wastes to swine on their own farms; "solid waste" includes litter, rubbish and debris.
- TRANSFER STATION
- A facility at which solid waste is transferred from collection vehicles to haulage vehicles for transportation to a solid waste facility.
Editor's Note: Said section was repealed 10-21-1996.
No waste shall be accepted at a transfer station before 7:00 a.m. or after 4:00 p.m. weekdays or before 8:00 a.m. or after 12:00 noon on Saturdays. No transfer station shall accept any waste on Sundays or legal holidays.
Accumulation of litter, garbage, rubbish or debris on the site of any transfer station is expressly prohibited, except in such areas where the transfer of solid waste from one vehicle to another is being made and accumulation of such material is part of the process of transfer of solid waste.
No driver or owner of any vehicle containing solid waste and in route to or from a transfer station, including haulage and collection vehicles, shall permit, suffer or allow any litter, garbage, rubbish or debris to leave the vehicle and fall upon the ground. All loads shall be secure, and all solid waste shall be covered while in transit.
No transfer station owner or operator shall allow, suffer or permit any of the following:
No solid waste shall be allowed to remain at the facility for more than 24 hours.
No solid waste shall remain on the tipping floor overnight. The tipping floor of a transfer station shall be washed down at the end of the day. All wastewater shall be directed to an on-site aboveground holding tank. No wastewater shall be permitted to run off onto the ground.
The tipping floor of a transfer station shall be cleaned and swept at the end of operations for the day.
No litter, garbage, rubbish or debris shall be permitted to remain anywhere on site overnight, except in trailers which have been securely covered.
No owner or operator of a transfer station shall accept for transfer any hazardous waste, as defined in N.J.A.C. 7:26-1.4. Upon determining that a load contains hazardous waste, the owner or operator shall, in addition to any other requirements imposed by law, notify the Department of Health of the Township of Mount Olive by telephone or in person.
The Health Officer and employees of the Health Department are authorized to enforce this chapter.
[Amended 10-4-1990 by Ord. No. B-8-90]
Violations of this chapter shall be punished by a fine of not exceeding $500. Each day such violation continues shall be deemed a separate and distinct offense.