Questions about eCode360? Municipal users Join us daily between 12pm and 1pm EDT to get answers and other tips!
City of El Reno, OK
Canadian County
By using eCode360 you agree to be legally bound by the Terms of Use. If you do not agree to the Terms of Use, please do not use eCode360.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of El Reno as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Food-handling establishments — See Ch. 200.
Streets and sidewalks — See Ch. 306.
Vehicles and traffic — See Ch. 343.
[Adopted 6-13-2017 by Ord. No. 9109]
The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this chapter, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
The Director of Community Development, or his designee.
Any article used for food, drink, confectionery, or condiment by man or animal, whether the same be simple, mixed or compound.
Bottled, canned, cartoned, securely bagged, or securely wrapped, whether packaged in a food service establishment or a food processing plant. It does not include a wrapper, carry-out box, or other nondurable container used to facilitate food protection during service and receipt of the food by the consumer.
Any street or highway and property adjacent to streets and highways which is dedicated to public use and over which the federal, state or municipal government, or any agency, department or subdivision thereof, exercises control and dominion; or any bridge, alley, sidewalk, pedestrian way, stairs or elevator which is dedicated to public use and over which the federal, state or municipal government, or any agency, department or subdivision thereof, exercises control and dominion.
Any wagon, trailer, cart, automobile, truck, pushcart, or any other mobile equipment.
No person shall sell, offer or expose for sale or have in his possession with intent to sell directly from a vehicle to the consumer any food product unless a license has first been obtained from the Director.
A license issued pursuant to this section may, at the option of the applicant, include special event licensing.
Persons required to obtain a license pursuant to the provisions of this article shall pay a fee (at the time of filing) to the City in the amount set forth by resolution.
The format of such license will be approved by the Director, and such license shall be prominently displayed at the applicant's selling location.
Any person who shall manufacture, sell or distribute food or food products without the license required by this section shall be guilty of an offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished as provided by resolution. Each day's continued violation of any of the provisions hereof shall be chargeable as a separate offense.
Contents of application. Applicants for a mobile food service license under this article must file with the City a (verified) sworn application, in writing, on a form to be furnished by the City, which shall give the following information:
The name and residence of the applicant, if an individual;
The names and residences of the partners, if a partnership;
The names and residences of the principal officers, if a corporation;
A description, in detail, of the vehicle proposed to be used for which the license is desired, including license number or other identification of any vehicle used;
Proof that the food services establishment is licensed by the Oklahoma Department of Health;
Verification that the applicant is bonded as a Group II vendor by the State Tax Commission or other proof that sales tax has been or is being paid on the merchandise sold or to be sold, if applicable.
Each applicant, if the applicant does not operate a fixed, permanent restaurant within the City of El Reno, shall file with the application a certificate of insurance from the appropriate insurer that the applicant has general liability and vehicular insurance in the amount required by the State of Oklahoma.
Each applicant shall have written permission of the property owner(s) giving the applicant the authority to use the location desired. The written permission must consist of the address where you will park, the date and time and the owner's name and phone number. This information must be accessible to show any City official if asked.
A license must be obtained at least 48 hours prior to any actual selling activity by the applicant.
No mobile food vendor may stop for longer than 12 hours at a single location or address in a twenty-four-hour period.
All operators of vehicles from which food is sold under the provisions of this article shall comply with all traffic regulations.
The chosen location for issuance of a mobile food service license is commercially zoned and does not extend onto the public right-of-way.
Applicants shall not be allowed to conduct business in a residentially zoned district.
The applicant is aware of his responsibility to collect and pay sales tax and the applicant is properly registered with the Oklahoma Tax Commission. If the applicant is not properly registered with the Oklahoma Tax Commission, the permit will not be issued.
The applicant's business operation will not obstruct a safe line of sight from any street or private drive used to exit the subject property, or cause other sight-distance-related problems.
No extra signs are allowed other than the permanent signs located on the side of the trailer or vehicle.
[Amended 8-13-2019 by Ord. No. 9203]
There shall be license terms set for the following:
One year after issuance.
Three months after issuance.
One day after license date.
Every vehicle used for the sale or distribution of food products to a consumer shall be well constructed and enclosed with top and sides. The interior walls and ceiling of the vehicle shall be of smooth, durable material capable of withstanding repeated washing and scrubbing. Each vehicle shall be kept well painted and in good repair, and in good sanitary condition, and shall not be used for any other purpose. Surfaces of all floors, walls and tops of compartments where foods are kept shall be smooth, nonabsorbent, washable and clean.
The Director may, without warning, notice, or hearing, suspend a license issued pursuant to the provisions of this article. Suspension is effective upon service of the notice as set forth hereinafter, and operations shall immediately cease thereafter.
The holder of the license shall be afforded an opportunity to appeal to the Director within 10 days of receipt of notice. The holder of the license or the person in charge shall be notified, in writing, that the license is, upon service of the notice, immediately suspended, the specific reasons therefor, and of an opportunity to appeal to the Director within 10 days by the owner/holder of license. The Director may end the suspension at any time if the reasons for suspension no longer exist.
A notice provided for in this section is properly served when it is delivered to the holder of the license, or the person in charge, or when it is sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, to the last known address of the holder of the license. A copy of the notice shall be filed in the records of the regulatory authority.
Any person who shall violate any provisions of this article shall be guilty of an offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished as provided for by resolution. Each and every day such violation continues shall constitute a separate offense.
[Amended 8-13-2019 by Ord. No. 9203]
Any vendor operating under the exemption of a local license is still required to abide by § 205-3A(5), (6), and C. The provisions of this article shall not apply to:
The acts of merchants having a permanent place of business or their employees in taking orders at the homes of their customers for goods held by such merchants in stock at their places of business, nor to the acts of such merchants or their employees in handling goods so ordered at the homes of their customers;
Food sales at events that are not open to the general public or are sponsored, catered, or hosted by a business or group;
Farmers or truck gardeners who offer for sale or sell, or who peddle and sell from house to house, fresh fruits, vegetables, butter, eggs and farm products produced and raised by such farmers and gardeners from lands owned and cultivated or controlled by them;
Food sales permitted under a special event permit.
Hired and placed on property owned by municipal/local government, county government, state government or public school district.