[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees 7-22-1975 as L.L. No. 15-1975 (Ch. 42A of the 1968 Code of the Village of Lindenhurst.) Sections 182-2, 182-3 and 182-4 amended at time of adoption of Code; see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I. Other amendments noted where applicable.]
It is hereby declared that the storage and maintenance of dismantled, junked, discarded and unlicensed motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts upon public property within the Village of Lindenhurst is a matter affecting the public interest. Such storage and maintenance constitutes a nuisance, an unsightly condition and a source of vexation and annoyance not only to the owners and occupants of adjoining lands but also to the general public. The preservation of peace and good order, the safeguarding of health, safety and general welfare and the protection of public property compel the Village Board to legislate upon said subject matter.
As used in this chapter, the following words and phrases are intended to include, for the purposes hereof, and are defined as follows:
- Includes every description of watercraft or other contrivance used on or capable of being used as a means of transportation or otherwise in water.
- MOTOR VEHICLE
- Any and all vehicles propelled or drawn by power, other than muscular power, intended for use on public highways; any unregistered, old or secondhand motor vehicle or trailer; any motor vehicle in such condition or state of repair that it cannot be licensed immediately without extensive repair; any abandoned, junked, discarded, disabled or wholly or partially dismantled motor vehicle no longer intended or in condition for legal use on the public highways.
- MOTOR VEHICLE PARTS OR TOOLS
- Includes any and all parts of any motor vehicle and any and all tools, equipment and other objects used in conjunction with the repair, construction, painting, demolition or improvement of any motor vehicle.
- PLACE OF MOTOR VEHICLE REPAIR
- Includes any establishment, premises, building or unimproved property situated in the Village of Lindenhurst whereon motor vehicles are repaired, constructed, painted, improved or stored. This shall include but not be limited to all gasoline stations, auto body repair shops, public garages, paint shops, glass repair or installation shops and tow truck shops and storage yards.
- PUBLIC PROPERTY
- Includes any paved or unpaved street or gutter, any paved or unpaved sidewalk area, any public park or parking field and any other property owned or leased by the Village of Lindenhurst.
It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation operating, owning or leasing a place of motor vehicle repair to store, deposit, place, maintain or cause or permit to be stored, deposited, placed or maintained any abandoned, junked, discarded, disabled, unlicensed, wholly or partially dismantled motor vehicle or vehicles or boat or any motor vehicle parts or tools, as defined in this chapter, upon any public property within the corporate limits of the village.
Any person or persons, firm, partnership, corporation or association violating any of the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to a fine or penalty of not less than $75 and not more than $1,000 for each day the offense shall continue.