[Added 10-12-2016 by Ord. No. 3553]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ANIMAL CARE FACILITY
- An animal control center or animal shelter, maintained by or under contract with any state, county or municipality, whose mission and practice is, in whole or in part, the permanent rescue and placement of animals in homes or other rescue organizations.
- ANIMAL RESCUE ORGANIZATION
- Any nonprofit organization which has tax exempt status pursuant to Section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code, whose mission and practice is, in whole or in part, the permanent rescue and placement of animals in homes or other private residential living structures.
- KENNEL, PET SHOP OR POUND
- Any business, shop, establishment, property or place which harbors, keeps or maintains five or more dogs, cats or similar animals that can be kept as pets or offers to sell any of the aforesaid animals to the general public at retail. Such definition is not inclusive of an animal care facility or an animal rescue organization defined above.
No dog kept in a kennel, pet shop, dog shelter or pound shall be permitted off such premises except on a leash or in a crate or under safe control.