[Adopted by Ord. No. 1992-01 (Sec. 1-10 of the 1974 Code); amended by Ord. No. 1993-24]
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural and the plural the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory, and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, and if the last day be a Sunday, a legal holiday, or a day on which the offices of the Borough of Bradley Beach are closed, that day shall be excluded.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
Any citation of a statute, law or ordinance contained in this Code shall be deemed to refer to such statute, law or ordinance as amended, whether or not such designation is included in this citation.
"Person" shall mean any individual, natural persons, partnerships, joint ventures, societies, associations, clubs, trustees, trusts, corporations or unincorporated groups; or any officers, agents, employees, servants, factors or any kind of personal representatives of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
All references to "Board of Commissioners" shall refer to "Mayor" and/or "Mayor and Council" and/or "Borough Council" as the specific context requires.
For the purpose of this Code and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances and resolutions heretofore or hereafter adopted by the Borough, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Includes the wooden boardwalk and the brick paved promenade area. The terms "boardwalk" and "promenade" shall be synonymous. Specifically the boardwalk shall include all the area east of the roadway located on Ocean Avenue, including and up to the bulkhead adjacent to the sand portion of the beach.
- See definition of "Small Municipality Plan of the Optional Municipal Charter Law," below.
- An organization unit or group of organization units of the administration branch of the Borough government so designated by this Code.
- An organizational unit within a Department.
- GENERAL LAW
- Any law or provision of law, not inconsistent with the ordinances heretofore or hereafter enacted, which is, by its terms, applicable or available to all municipalities, and the following additional laws, whether or not such additional laws are so applicable or available to all municipalities: legislation relating to taxation, local courts, education, health, public authorities serving more than one municipality and municipalities in unsound financial condition.
- File, codify, index or preserve.
- A calendar month, unless otherwise specifically provided.
- MUNICIPALITY or BOROUGH
- The Borough of Bradley Beach, Monmouth County, New Jersey.
- MUNICIPAL OFFICER
- Any person elected to, appointed to or employed in any position defined by this Code.
- Any and all ordinances of the Borough of Bradley Beach contained in this Code, on record in the Borough Clerk's office, in force and effect, and all duly approved ordinances thereafter.
- SMALL MUNICIPALITY PLAN OF THE OPTIONAL MUNICIPAL CHARTER LAW
- Chapter 465 of the Laws of the State of New Jersey of 1981, as amended and supplemented, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 40:69A-26 through 40A:69A-30; 40:69A-115 through 40:69A-117.3; 40:69A-120 through 40:69A-132; 40:69A-150; 40:69A-152; 40:69A-162 through 40:69A-167; 40:69A-168 through 40:69A-196; 40:69A-205 through 40:69A-210 and any and all general laws as therein defined which are or may be applicable to the Borough.
- A calendar year, unless otherwise specifically provided.