[Added by Ord. No. 1117]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Includes any automobile or motor car with a carrying capacity of not more than nine passengers, not including the driver, used in the business of carrying passengers for hire which is held out, announced or advertised to operate to run or which is operated or run over any of the streets or public highways of this state and which is hired by charter or for a particular contract or by the day or hour or other fixed period or to transport passengers to a specified place or places or which charges a fare or price agreed upon in advance between the operator and passenger.
- LIMOUSINE or LIVERY
- Includes the business of carrying passengers for hire by autocabs.
- Includes any individual, copartnership, association, corporation or joint-stock company, their lessees, trustees or receivers appointed by any court whatsoever.
- Includes any street, avenue, park, parkway, highway or other public place.
- Includes any automobile or motor vehicle commonly called "taxi," engaged in the business of carrying passengers for hire which is held out, announced or advertised to operate or run over the public streets or highways in the Borough and particularly accepts and discharges passengers who may offer themselves for transportation from points or places within the Borough to points or places within or without the Borough. Nothing in this definition or chapter shall apply to omnibuses.
No taxi owner's license or taxi driver's license shall be issued to any person who has not been a resident of Bergen County, New Jersey, for at least 90 days prior to the date of making application for such license.
[Added by Ord. No. 689]
The Mayor and Council shall have the power to determine by resolution the number of taxicabs reasonably necessary to serve adequately the convenience of the citizens of the Borough. In arriving at the maximum number permitted at any one time to be licensed by the Borough, the Mayor and Council shall take into account the population of the Borough, the traffic patterns, other methods of public transportation available within the Borough and the ability of existing licensees to absorb increased demands by taxicab transportation. Whenever the Mayor and Council shall deem that a greater number of cabs is necessary than that specified in the then-controlling resolution, current licensed owners shall be given notice thereof in order that they might have the opportunity to expand existing facilities if the same be deemed desirable by the Mayor and Council.
No license shall be issued pursuant to this chapter until and unless:
The Chief of Police has made an investigation of the facts disclosed in the application and has submitted a report, evidencing the findings of the investigation, to the Mayor and Council for its approval or disapproval of the license.
The required license fees have been paid to the Clerk.
The taxicab has been inspected and approved as provided by § 409-13, where a taxi owner's license is sought.
The Mayor and Council has approved the application.
The Borough Clerk shall keep a register of all licenses issued under the provisions of this chapter, which shall show:
The Clerk shall keep all applications. Upon those applications which may be approved, he shall endorse the number of the license issued in pursuance thereof.
In addition to the penalty prescribed in § 409-8, the Mayor and Council may suspend or revoke any license issued under this chapter, after notice and hearing, for the violation of any of the provisions thereof or for the violation of any of the rules and regulations made, adopted and promulgated pursuant to § 409-19 of this chapter.
The Chief of Police of the Borough is hereby empowered to suspend any license issued under this chapter pending hearing before the Council.
Any suspension of a license shall be noted thereon, together with a statement of the reasons therefor.
A second suspension of a taxi owner's license or a taxi driver's license for the same cause or a third suspension of a taxi driver's license for any cause shall effect a revocation of the license.
Any person who violates any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not exceeding $500, or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days, or both. A separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day during or on which a violation occurs or continues.