[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of Franklin as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 5-5-1986 as Title Four, Ch. XXVI of the 1986 Code]
For the purpose of this article, the following words and terms shall be interpreted as dictated by the following:
- MARTIAL ARTS WEAPON
- Any object, device or instrument designed to inflict injury upon persons used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense, such as karate, kung fu or other so-called martial art, including but not limited to nunchaku and throwing star.
- A person under the age of 18 years.
- NUNCHAKU (ALSO KNOWN AS "NUN CHUCKS")
- An instrument consisting of two or more clubs, bars or rods to be used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense, such as karate, kung fu or other so-called martial art.
- OTHER PUBLIC PLACE
- Any place to which the public has access.
- THROWING STAR (ALSO KNOWN AS "SHURIKEN" OR "CHINESE THROWING STAR")
- A device, usually circular or star shaped, with sharpened or pointed projections, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense, such as karate, kung fu or other so-called martial art.
A minor, unless accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian, shall not have in his or her possession at or in any school, public building, street, sidewalk, alley, highway, park, playground or other public place within the city any martial arts weapon.
A person shall not within the City of Franklin sell, barter, rent, lend or give away any martial arts weapon to a minor unless the minor is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Violation of this article shall be punishable by a fine of no more than $100.
In addition to the penalty provided for in § 294-4, all martial arts weapons found in the possession of a minor in violation of this article will be forfeited to the city and may be disposed of as provided by RSA 617.