The words and phrases used in this Traffic Code shall, for the purposes of this Traffic Code, have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by Article 1 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York.
The following words and phrases, which are not defined by Article 1 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York, shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this section for the purposes of this Traffic Code:
- APPROPRIATE POLICE AGENCY
- For areas within the Port Washington Police District, the Port Washington Police Department. For all other areas, it is the Nassau County Police Department.
- BUSINESS COMPLEX
- Any building or contiguous buildings, used for one or more retail shops, shops for personal service, theaters, restaurants, lodges, clubhouses, meeting halls, bowling alleys or other such places of business or public assembly, which has at least 20 neighboring off-street parking spaces.
- CLASS A FIRE ZONE
- A fifteen-foot-wide area measured from the nearby curb outward, which is adjacent to a building, where parking is prohibited in order to reserve an area for fire and emergency vehicles to operate in situations requiring the presence of such vehicles.
- CLASS B FIRE ZONE
- A six-foot-wide area measured from the nearby curb outward, which is adjacent to a building, where parking is prohibited in order to reserve an area for fire and emergency vehicles to operate in situations requiring the presence of such vehicles.
- The prolongation of the lateral line of a curb or, in the absence or a curb, the lateral boundary line of the roadway.
- FIRE LANE
- An area where parking and stopping of vehicles is prohibited in order to reserve a path sufficiently wide to permit fire and emergency vehicles to obtain access to a building or facility in case of emergency.
- New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday, Lincoln's
Birthday, Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor
Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.[Amended 2-24-2015 by L.L. No. 1-2015]
- OFFICIAL TIME STANDARD
- Whenever certain hours are named herein or on traffic control devices, they shall mean the time standard which is in current use in this state.
The appropriate authority shall install and maintain traffic control devices when and as required under the provisions of this Traffic Code, to make effective the provisions of this Traffic Code, and may install and maintain such additional traffic control devices as he may deem necessary to regulate, warn or guide traffic under the Vehicle and Traffic Law of the State of New York, subject to the provisions of §§ 1682 and 1684 of that law.
For the purpose of maintaining an accurate record of all regulations adopted under the provisions of this Traffic Code, there is hereby established a system of schedules, appearing as Article VIII of this Traffic Code, in which shall be entered all regulations after adoption. Such schedules shall be deemed a part of the section to which they refer. All regulations shall be adopted with reference to the appropriate schedule as indicated in the various sections of this Traffic Code.
Regulations shall be adopted by the Town Board in accordance with provisions of the Town Law and the Vehicle and Traffic Law, or by an officer or agency authorized by the Town Board to adopt regulations pursuant to § 1603 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law.