[CC 1997 §1.1]
The ordinances embraced in this and the following Chapters and Sections shall constitute and be designated "The Code of the City of Hazelwood, Missouri," and may be so cited. Such ordinances may also be cited as "Hazelwood City Code."
[CC 1997 §1.2]
In the construction of this Code and of all other ordinances of the City, the following definitions and rules of construction shall be observed, unless it shall be otherwise expressly provided in any Section or ordinance, or unless inconsistent with the manifest intent of the City Council, or unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
- The words "the City" or "this City" shall mean the City of Hazelwood, Missouri.
- CITY COUNCIL
- The City Council of the City of Hazelwood, Missouri.
- COMPUTATION OF TIME
- The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first (1st) and including the last day; and if the last day is Sunday or a legal holiday, that shall be excluded.
- The County of St. Louis, State of Missouri.
- When any subject matter, party or person is described or referred to by words importing the masculine, females as well as males, and associations and bodies corporate as well as individuals, shall be deemed to be included.
- JOINT AUTHORITY
- Words importing joint authority to three (3) or more persons shall be construed as authority to a majority of such persons, unless otherwise declared in the law giving the authority.
- A calendar month.
- When any subject matter, party or person is described or referred to by words importing the singular number, the plural and separate matters and persons and bodies corporate shall be deemed to be included.
- The word "oath" shall be construed to include an affirmation in all cases in which, by law, an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and in such cases the words "swear" and "sworn" shall be equivalent to the words "affirm" and "affirmed."
- The word "owner," applied to a building or land, shall include any part owner, joint owner, tenant in common, joint tenant or tenant by the entirety, of the whole or a part of such building or land.
- The word "person" shall include a corporation, firm, partnership, association, organization and any other group acting as a unit as well as individuals. It shall also include an executor, administrator, trustee, receiver or other representative appointed according to law. Whenever the word "person" is used in any Section of this Code prescribing a penalty or fine, as to partnerships or associations, the word shall include the partners or members thereof, and as to corporations, shall include the officers, agents or members thereof who are responsible for any violation of such Section.
- PRECEDING, FOLLOWING
- The words "preceding" and "following" shall mean next before and next after, respectively.
- The word "property" shall include real and tangible and intangible personal property.
- REAL PROPERTY
- The terms "real property," "premises," "real estate," or "lands," shall be deemed to be coextensive with lands, tenements and hereditaments.
- SHALL, MAY
- The word "shall" is mandatory, and the word "may" is permissive.
- Where the written signature of any person is required, the proper handwriting of such person or his mark shall be intended.
- The words "the State" or "this State" shall mean the State of Missouri.
- TANGIBLE PERSONAL PROPERTY
- Includes goods, chattels and all personal property, except intangible personal property.
- TENANT, OCCUPANT
- The words "tenant" or "occupant," applied to a building or land, shall include any person who occupies the whole or a part of such building or land, whether alone or with others.
- The word "writing" and "written" shall include printing, lithographing or any other mode of representing words and letters.
- A calendar year, unless otherwise expressed, and the word "year" shall be equivalent to the words "Year of our Lord."
All general provisions, terms, phrases and expressions contained in this Code shall be liberally construed in order that the true intent and meaning of the City Council may be fully carried out.
[CC 1997 §1.3]
The catchlines of the several Sections of this Code printed in boldface type are intended as mere catchwords to indicate the contents of the Section and shall not be deemed or taken to be titles of such Sections, nor as any part of the Section, nor, unless expressly so provided shall they be so deemed when any of such Sections, including the catchlines, are amended or reenacted.
[CC 1997 §1.4]
The provisions appearing in this Code, so far as they are the same in substance as those of ordinances existing at the time of the adoption of this Code, shall be considered as continuations thereof and not as new enactments.
[CC 1997 §1.5]
It is hereby declared to be the intention of the City that the Sections, paragraphs, sentences, clauses and phrases of this Code are severable, and if any phrase, clause, sentence, paragraph or Section of this Code shall be declared unconstitutional or otherwise invalid by the valid judgment or decree of any court of competent jurisdiction, such unconstitutionality or invalidity shall not affect any of the remaining phrases, clauses, sentences, paragraphs and Sections of this Code since the same would have been enacted by the City Council without the incorporation in this Code of any such unconstitutional or invalid phrase, clause, sentence, paragraph or Section.
[CC 1997 §1.6]
Whenever any ordinance or part of an ordinance shall be repealed or modified, either expressly or by implication, by a subsequent ordinance, the ordinance or part of an ordinance thus repealed or modified shall continue in force until the ordinance repealing or modifying the same shall go into effect unless therein otherwise expressly provided; but no suit, prosecution, proceeding, right, fine or penalty instituted, created, given, secured or accrued under any ordinance previous to its repeal shall in anywise be affected, released or discharged but may be prosecuted, enjoyed and recovered as fully as if such ordinance or provisions had continued in force, unless it shall be therein otherwise expressly provided.
When an ordinance repealing a former ordinance, clause or provision is itself repealed, it does not revive the former ordinance, clause or provision, unless it is otherwise expressly provided; nor shall any ordinance repealing any former ordinance, clause or provision abate, annul or in any wise affect any proceedings had or commenced under or by virtue of the ordinance so repealed, but the same is as effectual and shall be proceeded on to final judgment and termination as if the repealing ordinance had not passed, unless it is otherwise expressly provided.