[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Township of North Brunswick 6-26-2000 by Ord. No. 00-12. Amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter shall be known and may be cited as "License to Operate a Limousine Ordinance of the Township of North Brunswick."
It is not intended by this chapter to repeal, abrogate, annul or in any way impair or interfere with existing provisions of other ordinances, including the General Licensing Ordinance of the Township of North Brunswick, except those specifically repealed. Where this chapter imposes a licensing fee upon a business that is required to obtain a license and pay a fee under the provision of any other ordinance, the provisions of both ordinances shall apply.
Word usage. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words in the plural number include the singular number and words in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" means always mandatory and not merely directory.
Definitions. For the purposes of this chapter, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivation shall have the meaning given herein:
- Any automobile or motor car used in the business of carrying passengers for hire to provide prearranged passenger transportation at a premium fare on a dedicated, nonscheduled, charter basis that is not conducted on a regular route and with a seating capacity in no event of more than 14 passengers, not including the driver, provided that such a vehicle shall not have a seating capacity in excess of four passengers, not including the driver, beyond the maximum passenger seating capacity of the vehicle, not including the driver, at the time of manufacture. Not included in this definition are taxicabs, hotel buses or buses employed solely in transporting school children or teachers, or autobuses which are subject to the jurisdiction of the Department of Transportation, or interstate auto buses required by federal or state law or regulations of the Department of Transportation carrying insurance against loss from liability imposed by law on account of bodily injury or death.
- LIMOUSINE SERVICE
- The business of carrying passengers for hire by limousines.
- Any individual copartnership, association, corporation or joint-stock company, their lessees, trustees or receivers appointed by any court whatsoever.
- Any street, avenue, park, parkway, highway or other public place.
- The Township of North Brunswick.
No person shall operate a limousine service in any street in this township without a license to operate issued by a municipality in which the owner has his principal place of business and without otherwise complying with the provisions of N.J.S.A. 48:16-13 et seq.
[Amended 3-1-2010 by Ord. No. 10-02]
All limousine services that have their principal offices located within the Township of North Brunswick shall apply to the Township Clerk’s office for a license to operate in the Township of North Brunswick. Each limousine service shall, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 48:16-17: 1) file a copy of the required insurance policy with the Township Clerk; 2) pay a fee of $50 for the limousine business; and 3) pay an additional $10 for each limousine covered under the required insurance policy; whereupon the Township Clerk shall issue, in duplicate, a license to operate to the owner of the limousine service, showing that the owner of the limousine service has complied with the terms and conditions of N.J.S.A. 48:16-17.
The license issued by the Township Clerk shall recite the name of the insurance company, the number and date of the expiration of the policy, a description of every limousine insured under said policy, and the registration number of each covered limousine.
The licensure provisions contained in this section are also set forth in § 212-16, entitled, "License fees; licensed uses," of the Township Code.
Notwithstanding any provisions contained in this chapter to the contrary, no person lawfully engaged in limousine service on an intrastate basis between or among political subdivisions within the State of New Jersey need obtain a license pursuant to this chapter unless the owner maintains his or her principal place of business within the Township.