[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Bridgewater 2-27-2014 by Ord. No. 14-01. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The purpose of this chapter is to establish a tobacco-free environment for all outdoor events at the event site located on outdoor municipal property.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE
- An electronic device that converts nicotine liquid into water vapor the three main parts of the e-cigarette being a battery, atomizer and cartridge.
- EVENT SITE
- The entire physical area in which an event is being staged on outdoor municipal property (as defined below) and over which Bridgewater Township has control or responsibility. The event site includes all open and semi-open areas, including but not limited to vendor or exhibit booths, restrooms, performance stages, sports and other recreational areas, seating or spectator areas or facilities and pedestrian walkways or pathways.
- OUTDOOR EVENT
- Any outdoor activity that is sponsored, operated, or authorized under permit, either totally or in part, by Bridgewater Township on an event site located on outdoor municipal property (as those terms are defined below) and over which it has control or responsibility. This definition includes activities related to the scheduled event itself as well as event setup and takedown.
- OUTDOOR MUNICIPAL PROPERTY
- All public parks, playgrounds, ball fields or other outdoor property publicly owned or leased by the Township of Bridgewater upon which the public is invited or upon which the public is permitted and where individuals gather for events, including all areas adjacent to such facilities including, but not limited to, any parking areas.
- Any substance containing tobacco leaf, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, hookah tobacco, snuff, chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco or any other preparation of tobacco.
Bridgewater Township wants to provide everyone who attends or works at such an outdoor event with a healthy and safe environment. Tobacco use is counterproductive to this goal, as documented in the United States Surgeon General's 2006 Report on the Health Consequences of Involuntary Smoking.
In order to safeguard the health, safety and general welfare of everyone present at an event, Bridgewater Township adopts the following policy and procedure.
Tobacco use prohibited at event. Bridgewater Township will not allow tobacco to be used during an event and on the event site. This policy applies at all times during the event and to everyone, including:
All Bridgewater Township board members, officers, employees, volunteers and agents;
Event exhibitors and their employees, volunteers or agents;
Independent contractors working at the event site;
Event site staff and employees;
Event performers, participants or contributors;
All event attendees.
Bridgewater Township will permit tobacco use during an event only in the designated parking lots associated with the event or within registered motor vehicles. All other areas within the event site shall be tobacco-free.
Bridgewater Township will communicate its tobacco-free event policy as widely as possible through media releases, website announcements, public service announcements, printed reminders, event materials and instructions, permit applications and all other forms of communication.
Bridgewater Township will make sure that numerous easy-to-read posters or signs are posted prominently at the event (including at entrances, exits, and other appropriate areas) to inform all attendees of the policy. The signs will indicate that tobacco use and electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) are not permitted on the event site. Designated tobacco use areas as noted in parking lots shall be posted to indicate authorization as appropriate.
Any person violating any provision of this chapter shall be liable for a fine not exceeding $200 and/or imprisonment of up to 90 days in the county jail and/or up to 90 days of community service.
This tobacco-free event policy is in addition to any federal, state or local law that restricts or otherwise regulates the use of tobacco.